1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Herringbone pattern

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by site, Dec 11, 2001.

1. site

site LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if anyone has a trick for laying out herringbone patterns using water struck brick. Here's our problem- The brick can vary in size by as much as 3/4". The variations throw the pattern out of wack. Often we spend more time tweaking the patttern than we do laying it. In the end we end up with straight lines and a pretty patio, but there has to be a better way. We prep our base using the same method as most folks do for concrete pavers then lay the bricks the same way too.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Gapping your pavers, we try to find the largest pavers and use them to set our lines. Yes it takes more time but the finished produce looks better. Don't hold tight gaps and things will work out better , along with sorting them.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like we do it the same way you do, Site. Lay it out and tweak it. It is a pain in the neck, but yeah, they sure can look nice when they're done.
  4. site

site LawnSite Member

My guys keep calling me from the job, which is right down the street, and complaining about this problem. I plan to go to the job tomorrow with one of them and lay it myself. I'm wondering paul do you lay your lines on the square or diagonal? We lay out lines on the square, but they don't seem to help much. More info would be helpful. I'll try to post a picture after we finish.:blob3: