He's Losing His A$$?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnproslawncare, Sep 19, 2008.

?

Are you making over one dollar a minute for you mowing services?

1. Making $1.00 per minute or more:

84 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I'm close to it:

63 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I am a lowballer:

21 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a little poll for the real guys out there in reply to the guy who's losing his rear end mowing lawns for 5 buck an hour.

Who here that is not a lowballer is charging at least a dollar a minute for mowing services?

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Dollar a minute?

So what happens in the spring when it takes you twice as long to do a yard? Do you charge more?

Or in the summer when it takes half the time? Do you charge less?

A "real guy" would know that in mowing you charge by the job not by the time.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you probably wont get alot of truth in your answers. as for me, i'm grossing $47 an hour with drive time included.

4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

The question in this poll is like asking if a roofer in Georgia makes the same as one in California. If the roofer in Georgia makes less, is he a low-baller? Don't think so. Besides, the question implies that anyone making less than sixty bucks an hour is a low-baller. LCO's in this part of the country are doing good to get forty to fifty.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what a useless thread.....

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I average about $1.30 per minute. Less in the spring and fall, more in the summer. I have every minute tracked on a spreadsheet. Keep in mind this is time spent on the lawns only, this does not include drivetime or administrative time. On landscaping projects, I don't track as well, but for labor I am around $60 per hour, give or take on how good my time estimate was for that day.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i wish i could make a dollar a minute here in florida! on some i might come close but others, LOL

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Lowest are at least a dollar. Tops is around 2.35. These numbers mean nothing though cause solo it is good, but if you have workers than 2.35 is low.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh geez, and what if my cost of living and my cost of doing business is half someone else's
    and I decide to price accordingly, does that make me a lowballer?

We have a winner :p

Not entirely disagreeing here, either.

But you know what?
    I need a certain amount of money to survive, and to cover all the costs, and to put some in the bank, etc...
    So there is an amount that, if I gross at least that much per week, it really doesn't matter wth happens.

And so it has gotten to where, so long I gross what I need, maybe a little more over top...
    I don't give a rat if I work from sunup to dark 6 days a week, how much I make per hour or per minute,
    how many jobs get done per day or per hour or per week,
    money is money and it just don't matter at that point.

Now if you feel you're not making ends meet then by all means raise your prices, if you can,
    but if you're making ends meet and you got a little left over, who cares?

That's my attitude anymore, and if that makes me a lowballer then I hope to
    lowball around a few hundred local Lco's right out of existence LOL

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So if you think it will take an hour and price the "job" on that, but after doing it 10 times you average 1 hour 10 minutes you dont raise prices based on your time? Time does mean more than a lot of people think. I wish we could price by time. I could think of a few that we're too fast on.