Hess Lawns 2013

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ed2hess, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We did that for awhile until we realized that it didn't mean anything and it was taking up time. But we work 12 months a year. Our equipment trucks trailer is probably average compared to our peers. The connectors had diaelectric put in once a year with air clean. Fluid film the rust it happens here even though we are hot and dry.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One of our HOAs didnt have us plant winter flowers and asked us to leave the summer ones. Well we are now seeing some of the perwinkles blooming:dizzy: I think I am buying into the idea our climate has changed.

008.jpg

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Last year we barely had a winter at all, heck the Knock Outs barely stopped blooming. This year we making up for it though. The Knock Outs are leaf less, Pansies/Violas are just starting to perk back up, Oleanders are brown and the list goes on. Right now it is 28 and feels like 23. I am ready for 55 morning and 75 days.

I am just praying we get some hard rains this Spring to fill the creeks and the stock tanks up or by June there is not going to be any cattle left in my area because of lack of water. Sept and Oct we generally get 8 or 9" of rain but this fall we only got around 2.2" for Sept and Oct.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see some of the irrigation side of the business!

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is some in HessLawns 2012...One of my sons does full time repairs to I only get involved if he has some trenching and I am available. First picture was a drip line put under the ground but I could find any of the follow up pictures so no interesting. We had just finished puttign the drip lines in and now was ready to lay sod. A lot of this type of work just bring up old system in compliance so no run off.

002.jpg

This is a break on a residential.....we have hired a second person part
    time to do residential so son does commerical this year

009.jpg

This is our new repair van. We had a black Ford Van and it is retired
    I seen him working so I pulled over to help out
    020.jpg

This is one of the many repairs on these HOAs, They are now 25 years old and a lot of breaks. One asked us to price complete retrofit and when we tol them about $100K the discussin stopped.

022.jpg

002.jpg

009.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The big dogs were doing a little ground leveling in preparation for building
    a hotel. This is next to one of our accounts. They essentially tore up
    the irrigation on the edge of the resturant. It will result in about $3000 dollars worth of work...and owner doesn't understand. All kind of stuff in the main line valves sticking nozzles clogged.
    063.jpg
    Before they started this was a wooded area with some areas that was used for parking. We did some minor tree cleaning and covering areas with mulch for the parking. City eventually stopped the resturant from parking because the dripping chemical from the cars could get into the ground:dizzy::dizzy:

064.jpg

This big dog is cutting an area for the drain pond and the front loader stacks
    the cuttings. The width of the cut was only about 2ft. wide. Then he woudl mover for another cut. This is all cliche(i.e. almost impossible to dig in)

067.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

7. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, those are some big toys!!! What brand is that bigger machine that's in the first and last pic?

8. Turf Dawg

Are y'all still at the state under 4' rule or y'all doing like some of the areas around here and going to under 10' must be drip?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

All Vermeer stuff..these belong to Chatman and are on lease. A friend of my sons worked for him in North of Vegas where they were putting in cross country fiber. He said it was so dusty that they had to run a water spray on the unit full time. All that work basically went away with the bust.

Not sure what the rules are now. A bank next to one of our properties was not allowed to put any irrigation on county easement and that went back
    about 12ft. I know for sure that you can't put any spray heads between curb and sidewalk....I am guessing drip ok.

10. Turf Dawg

I'm sorry, yes I was talking about spray heads. State is no sprays in areas under 4' but several areas around here are going to no sprays in areas under 10', drip only.