1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hesslawns Scag Restoration

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ed2hess, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought this unit for $40 because I needed some spindles for my Sentar. Then I got to looking at it and it had a manual mechanism for operating the blades and .......I was so surprised how light weight the unit is after I got all the tires inflated. I had a used carb for it so I got it cleaned up and I am cleaning up the gas tank. If the engine starts then...

2. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow seems like it can be a great find, I would definitely have bought for $40 bucks!
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I seen this unit at the dealers last week. It is painted green because they were using it as a rental. But it is awfully close to the dump pile so I am going to see if I can get this deck.

4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

get the whole thing, I want to use it for my special drip irrigation project this fall
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Progress on this project has been a little slow. I have determined that I will have to get an exhaust valve. I got the unit to run a few seconds but after adjusting the valves and lapping them the leak tester says I had bad leak on the exhaust side. So I want to open it up to see what the condition of the those two rod bearings. I don't want to put money in it if I got major wear on crank. Once i get it open I will most likely take it into McCoys for a real engine expert to look it over.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I kinda got back to my project. Primed a couple parts that were continuing to rust. This week I will get deck off and to welding shop to get estimate on cost to fix it.

7. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like a fun project! :rolleyes:
  8. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Please expound :confused::laugh:
    Did you end up picking it up ed?
    One of y'all really need to learn to weld. I've saved huge dough knowing just a few basic welding skills.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think we should but the biggest problem for us is we don't have a pile of scrap metal to get started. Change comes slowly when you are old.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got a little more work that I first noticed. Can't image that these wheels rusted through.

I got the deck back from the welding shop and they did a good job.

Now I am going over to get the 32" Scag and start taking parts off to get this one up to speed. The Kaw engine is sitting off for the time being, it has very low compression. I am in the process of rebuilding a 15hp Kohler for this one.