1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey all! Allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AceSprinkleRx, Apr 20, 2005.

1. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Well I've spent the past few days reading most of the 55+ pages within the Irrigation forum and I must say it's pretty good reading. Certainly seems you get a lot of interest from outside folks looking to get into the biz and GreenWorld must have been a professional photographer in another life! (Nice pic's Green! Ever get that broken truck fixed? And I love your trailer graphics too!)

My intro: Quit college my first year to run heavy equipment since it was paying so much back in the early 80'. Then ended up running Cats at a coal mine in SE Kansas for almost 9 years before I decided I needed to get out the 'operating' job and do something more with my life. (New wife and eventually 3 kids within a few years! :D)

Had an opportunity to move the family west to Wyoming where I've spent the last 15 years in sales working towards the ownership of the business. Twice. The first one I finally left on my own terms because I didn't like what was going on , and the second one was sold to another similar business. So I lost my chance at ownership again.

I really don't want to work for another 'Employer' either. When living in KS I had a great yard and garden and loved to roto-till (Brand new Troy-Bilts every year and would sell last years model for a profit!). Being outside and working with my hands is something I have sorely missed.

Wanting to build a service business I've considered hot tubs, deck building and maintenance and landscaping. My fiancé and I purchased a home and it lacks a sprinkler system and it is something we both wanted to have put in. Being a hands on guy, I researched lawn sprinkler/installation at DIY and other home improvement sites. Then headed to Home Depot to check things out. Searched the web for even more stuff on installations and finally found the "tutorial" everyone here seems to post to.

With one thing leading to another I felt this was something I would enjoy doing and more so, it would be a good way to get back to being my own boss. While searching the 'net I ended up at LawnSite and like I said previously, have been reading ever since. From all of the posts I've read here, it sounds like sprinkler "service" may be a good way to ease into the business wothoput a lot of capital investment and then grow from there.

So right now I'm currently working in sales M-F 8-5 and hating every minute of it. I've contacted RainBird about classes but they're being held in NV and CA with no Denver, CO classes planned in the near future. I've read through most of IrrigationTutorial/Stryker stuff a month ago when I decided to put in our system myself and before I slowly found my way here. (Still haven't began as we are still doing some remodeling and it just snowed a few inches last night and is still snowing this morning! But I have the design started!)

Some of the posts have led me to the Irrigation Association and I plan on purchasing a few books from them on maintenance and troubleshooting. Also downloaded the Residential Handbook from Hunter which was where one post directed me.

My plans are to possibly start servicing on a part time basis weeknights and on the weekends in a couple of months. Maybe even take some vacation time to attend a RainBird Seminar in Vegas or Reno. Study the manuals and info from IA and work in a bit of OJT.

If anyone knows of any seminars or classes around Denver, CO, Billings, MT, Rapid City, SD or even Salt Lake City I'd be interested in hearing from you. In my current line I keep up on all the trade stuff and hit seminars and classes on a continual basis. I hold numerous designations within my field of expertise and would also want to become certified and accredited within the irrigation industry as I grow.

So that's me.

Keep up the good postings. I need to get back to work. Thanks.
  2. johndarron

johndarron LawnSite Member

You just missed an irrigation design and troubleshooting class put on by Horizon (irrigation supply house) in Denver. We are planning more classes in the near future and all classes lead to certification. If you have any question or just need more information to help get your business off the ground give me a call at 303-934-3200, 8am - 5pm.

Darron Bryant
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

no professional photo classes here! just me and my digital camera. anyway, the truck is in truck heaven now.

good luck with the irrigation service business...it is a tough life, like anything else but with a little elbow grease and some luck you will do just fine.

here is a pic of the install crew in action yesterday.

install shrub zone.jpg