Hey Boots Manifold Pics (FIMCO)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Remote Pigtails, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I don't even know how to tell this one. I could go on for hours, quote philosophers, sing psalms and still not tell the story.This customer I've had for about 4 years put this system for 960.00 in 1973. Still had the original plan and contract. It uses a FIMCO hydro indexing valve. Four zones. I hate these things more than any irrigation product I know to exist. I begged them when they first called to abandon the system and put a new one in. They knew the system was bad and were willing to live with the best I could do. Elderly couple, husband has alzheimers, fixed income, you know the story. Anyway the hydro indexing valve went out. I told them the best solution was to replace it with four valves and run new wire to the clock. She was uptight over the cost so I (against my better judgement) said I would try to find a replacement. I called an old old secret supply house to see if they had one and unfortunately they did. Last one in Dallas.

Sipping beer:cry: :drinkup:

Anyway I'll stop my story for now and post pics. My assistant Henry age 22 did all the work and took the pics. One tip-the original FIMCO was installed upside down.

2. Remote Pigtails

more pics

sipping beer:cry: :drinkup:

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dear god.

I hate to say this, but I think your assistant needs a lesson clean glueing, and proper pipe repair techniques :D

All of the original pipes were nicely aligned, I don't see why the need for such wacky angles out of the indexing valve....But whatever.

I'd rather use an extra 90 and keep things straight then turn them at odd angles like that. Personal preference.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm no expert, but you said the original one was "upside down"? It sure looked better that way! Why not just put the new one in the same way? It worked fine for 34 years like that before...

Iv'e never seen a valve like that before though, I assume it indexes to the next "zone" when the water is turned off and then back on again?
  5. Remote Pigtails

He did fine. I know that he used primer and Turftite. Plus I suggested he glue his elbows on before putting it in the ground. It's not every day you glue something like this so leeway is necessary. If all the joints hold I'm happy. After all it gets buried. Study the pics a little more and I'll tell the "REST OF THE STORY". It is nothing Henry did.
  6. Remote Pigtails

That is correct. One valve two wires and it will index each time it is on and off. Needs to be a delay between the on/ off cycle. It could have been serviced the other way. We put it in a 10" round valve box. I'm waiting for FL irrigators to defend this atrocity to irrigation.
  7. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

Holy crap!

This DIY'er must have lost that page in the Stryker tutuorials..." cut pipe in multiple lengths, throw pipe on ground into pile, put on blindfold, put cement into squirt gun, take hit of mescaline and assemble".
  8. Remote Pigtails

Ed you live in FL. Aren't these hydro-indexing valves pretty common there? If we had put the new one in upside down like the original it would have been real easy to glue back in nice and straight. If the original had been glued right side up we could have possibly left it in and tried to get repair parts for it. There is a bigger picture issue than the pipe gluing. Think of that as a secret underground piece of art work that a future archaeologist will discover. In other words try not to fixate on the gluing. I am bold enough to suggest that none of us at 22 without someone standing over them screaming could have done much better. Also what you don't see is a 30+ year old oak that was 4' away. The roots limited the hole size. I pride myself on flow charting problems and making good decisions for customers that might be more costly now but save money down the road. I'll add to the story later.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm jealous. :) ~ One thing in favor of the monstrousity, is that it can probably function on dirty water.
  10. Remote Pigtails

Henry (my assistant) is going to take the old one apart and if his feelings aren't too hurt with all the comments on the glue job we might get some understanding from this monster.