1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey Dad, the trimmer shocked me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawnman, Jun 15, 2006.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

So I take the string trimmer from my daughter, and look it over. I don't see anything out of order (you know how kids are) so I start it up. As I'm moving the choke lever to the run position my finger brushes the insulated rubber spark plug wire. The next thing that I know I'm doing a River Dance trying to let go of the trimmer. Holy Cow those things pack a wallup! After the smoke clears I find a small slit in the insulation on the wire. I guess I damaged it somewhere. My daughter gives me a well deserved "I told you so" look. Next time I'll listen . . . . .
  2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had the same exact problem, is your trimmer a Redmax?
  3. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

No it's an Echo. I've had it for MANY years - never a problem. I was shocked to disciver this one.:cool2:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh yeah LOL !!! The echo is the only one has ever done that to me, more than a few times have I felt a shock that made me think it just defibrillated me. Happened to me a lot after a year of using a Stihl, I was really used to resting my elbow on that spot. So you think if you switch your elbow position it will be ok, but on the other side is the HOT muffler, the scars from that are gone by now.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing that shocks me are the echo hedge trimmers. Right on the funny bone. Especially when doing those 4ft hedges when I am resting the sparkplug wire on the elbow. I just bought the kombi system and not a prob so far. Spark On!!!
  6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

(Insert Stihl add here)

None of my Stihl stuff has ever zapped me, but I've gotten it from other motors... man I really hate that.
  7. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

Simple fix just wrap the wire with electrial tape !
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Motors are electric. Engines are gas powered, and other types of fuels for those that want to nit pick Engines :nono:

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

I've gotten shocked by my redmax string trimmer - man was it wierd because at the time i didn't know what just happend. lol
  10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

You think the trimmer is bad. Try getting zapped from a spark plug on a car. Watched one my friends fall right on his arse from getting zapped. He was OK but had a mighty burn on his hand from where the spark arced to his hand.