Hey Dino, check this!

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by DaveO, Apr 2, 2001.

1. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

YA Dave, I think it will beat your ram being towed by a ford to the dealer. LOL!

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Funny thing about that exaust, I read an article by the owner of http://www.hhtrailer.com thathad that exuast installed.
    Loved the power upgrade, but then he noticed that the truck under heavy throttle would just shut off, he would coast to the side of the road, and the truck would be fine. He would take off and be ok for a while then when under heavy load it would happen again.
    He took it to a dealer and he pulled the trouble code from the computer, seems the free flowing exaust caused an over boost situation, and the truck would shut off, to save the turbo and engine. Gotta love them puter controlled trucks.
    I guess DD is working on a puter fix.
    Dino

4. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Dino,

Did you check out the torque chart??

Dave

5. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Hey Dino,

Did you get a Duramax yet?

I saw one today with an 8 1/2 Western Pro on it. It was brand new just leaving the Chevy dealership. The thing was squating so much, the front wheel camber looked like the front wheels on an F1 race car!! Now I know it didn't have any ballast in it, but MAN, looked like the front end needed alot of help :eek: I can't imagine what a V would do to it.

Oh, and Dave. There is some guy around where I live with a Black Dodge/Cummins who tries to race me every time he see's me! That wouldn't be you by chance would it? (joking):D He's tried 6 or 7 times and still see's my tailgate badges even if I give him a head start:D
    Just got a TTS Flip chip with stock/towing/race settings. Blows my old Diablo away!!

Greg

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

No way that can be all from exaust, that must be the chart for the new enhancements they are coming out with.
    Dino

7. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Dino,

Ya think??

Dockboy,

How'd ya know it was black?? I looked for ya on the way to Daytona...was goin to give ya a "spot", even with my trailer hooked...ha ha.

My buddy dyno'd his Ram, has a little more than me. Almost 400 rwhp on dynojet. He was lookin for 1000ftlbs, but we think he broke the output shaft(trans), doing a brakestand.

Is your "chip" switchable on the fly? Mine is, it's great for towing, if EGT's get too high, I can change power setting in a couple seconds.

BTW....truck got 13 mpg towing 7Klbs+ at 80-85 all the way to Daytona. Gotta love turbo diesels.

Dave

8. Mike Williams

Mike Williams LawnSite Member

I have a 1989 F-250 Ex Cab,LongBed,Diesel Non-tubo w/5 speed Manual.
    Gets over 20 mpg on the highway with trailer(I do NOT go slow).
    I wanted the F-250 for the useable power and Economy.
    It does great with the Lobo V plow by Sno-Way.
    Would be nice to turn a little sharper like the 1995 Dodge D-2500 Ex Cab,Longbed,Tubo Cummins W/5 Speed Manual. The Dodge emty does not get 20 MPG. It pulls a little harder (quicker & Longer) but needs the 6 Speed to go as fast.
    Can't see why anyone would want a auto.
    My point is the monster power is not REALLY NEEDED!

9. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Mike,

It is if you want to have FUN! :D

On a serious note. There is absolutly no comparison in the "useability" of a diesel truck that is chipped with one that is not! I own a construction company, and along with plowing, I do a tremendous amount of hauling. I tow a 9,800# skidsteer trailer at least 3-4 times a week. I bought this truck just for that purpose. I was very pleased with the way it performed stock. Had plenty of power, got good mpg's(18-19 empty and 12-14 towing), I was happy. Then I installed a 54hp Diablo chip and WOW!! Throtle response was better, shifting was better, and mpg went up 2-3 mpg! I thought it towed nice stock, but this was unbelievable. Not that the truck labored alot before, but now it was like the 9,800#'s was not even there! Another thing I found out is just how much FUN the truck was to drive empty. It was like driving an 8,000# sports car:) Of course the kid in me(my wife thinks I'm 5) had to go for more power (ah, ah, ah, ah). So I went with a "flip chip" that enables me to switch between programs. Stock (for when I take it to the dealer for any work), Tow (for towing, plowing and everyday driving), and Race (for just flat out having fun!)

Dave,

Yeah it's switchable on the fly. Pretty cool :cool:
    A bunch of us are going to dyno our trucks again in a couple months. I'll let you know the results. We are even going to let a couple Ram's in LOL!

Later,

Greg

10. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Mike,

You'd have to drive one to understand. Maybe you don't want/need the XTRA power. Guys like Greg and myself obviously do, and once your hooked...

Dockboy said it the best. It's like driving an 7K lbs(in my case) sports car. The way it EFFORTLESSLY pulls a trailer on the highway is surprising...just like the faces of the 5.0 gt drivers as they are passed. And just FYI, I routinely get over 20 mpg empty with my '01 auto xcab 2500, IF I keep it under 75.

Greg,

Good luck on the dyno. My friends pulled around 380rwhp, they had no tach hookup(need for torque). I did calculate it out to ~900+ftlbs @2000rpms. The cummins pull from 17-2700, then roll off a little. 3200 is max by ECM. And yes, he snapped the trans output shaft in 1/2.

Watch out for the black Ram...LOL

Can't wait for Dino to get his Dmax so I can run one...

Dave