Hey Eric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOshua Gallerick, Mar 27, 2001.

1. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

WhaT IS THE BLADE #FOR THE DIXIE CHOPPER BLADE THAT LOOKS LIKE A GATOR BLADE? mY DEALER DOES NOT HAVE THE PART NUMBER FOR THE BLADE. THANKS

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Brought this back up to the top so Eric could easily see this. :) Was pretty far back in the pages.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Congrats Johshua,
    I see you got a new Chopper, Cool :cool:

I will get a number off the blades tomorrow for you. ;)

Thanks Jodi for bringing this up so I could see this. :)

4. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

eric, can i put the double blade setup on my gravley 260z?

5. Eric ELM

I'm not familiar with Gravely, but I would think you should be able to put doubles on about any mower. You may or may not need longer bolts, but just be safe. Take your time in figuring this out. Do you have good solid spindles? I know some are making the housings out of aluminum. I feel two balance blades spin as smooth as one, so make sure your blades are balanced.

6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I am putting doubles (1 factory blade, 1 gator) on my 60" 260Z Sunday... I will let you know if I run into any problems.

Mark

7. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Eric now that I'm a Chopper owner I'm thinking about trying double blades. Does Dixie warrant the use of double blades and is there anything special I should know about the set-up? I have heard it sounds like your flying a helicopter when you have them on. Besides hearing protection are there any other safety precautions that should be used.

8. Eric ELM

Chip:
    No problem running double blades on a Chopper. DC sells double blade adapters and they use them on their test machines at the factory. The spindles on a Chopper have cast iron housings and keyless spindle shafts and are very durable.

What I do is take off the 1/2" spacer but I still use the fiber washer just above the cupped washer, so it goes like this. Bolt, cupped washer, fiber washer, blade, blade adapter if your using one, then blade. If you are not using the adapter, blade on top of the other blade.

I am using the double blade adapter on the 2001 I have. I tryed to use the doubles without the adapter one day, but the bolt was a fuz to long. If you run into this problem and can't get the bolts tight, you might have to use the 1/2" spacer or grind 1/4" off the bolts. See how it works on your machine.

The reason I take the 1/2" spacers off is, it lowers the blades 1/4" if you leave the spacer on, it raises the blades 1/4" if you take it off.

I hope this helps.
    Eric