1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey everyone have a question for you!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

So we looked at an exmark 36" turf tracer today for a back up mower or to have if we get enough customers this season to start another crew and it was 4,899 for last years model and over 5,000 this years model. Is this about the norm because this seemed crazy priced to me since. The new FERRIS 48" Dual drive with the infinitely adjustable floating deck is only $5,099.00 with more options and built a little beefer to than the EXmark. So is this pricing norm and if so why would anyone even buy an EXmark then?All replies welcome and thanks in advance.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are the going rates I was thinking thou if its a back-up mower why not buy used if you can find a decent machine. Just my two cents.
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I was quoted $4699 for a 36 turf tracer today dont know whether it was an 06 or 07 but it was new. Also was quoted $5700 for a 52 turf tracer with electric start and 19 kaw. they have 12 mos. same as cash right now too.
  4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

A back-up mower but it could be a new crews mower as well. We have looked at lots of used equipmant in our area and we just don't think it makes very good business sense to pay only 4-500 less than brand new for a used mower. You can't really find any used machines here priced at anywhere near their worth. 400 hundred less with no warranty and not as much dealer support because you didn't buy it from them. But thanks for the info looks like we will be staying with Ferris if the other products that are near its level of machine are %60 more in price that is crazy.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

why would anyone spend $5000.00 for a 36" cut mower of any brand? If your going to spend that much buy a bigger mower for a couple grand more and have something worth having. Don't get me wrong 36" cut walkbehind would be good but way to small for anything else especially for $5000.00.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That does seem like a lot. My 48"tthp/19 kawi/electric start was 5800 with the standon($350) and some extra blades and filters. That also included tax.

I'd look at the Toro WBs. If I remember looking at them a few days ago, you could have a 36" for a lot less than that.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds kinda high. A local dealer was selling a 52" tthp with a stand-on for $5000. He had 36" tthp mowers for $4000.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

hey dunns quit going to Art's they are a rip off . Try Milbradt.
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing. The T-bar belt drive really is very durable and productive. Last year they ran a special 36" w/ a 15hp kohler for $2,700- for a few hundred more you can get the 15 Kawi and they have the new Turbo force decks.
  10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had good fortune with Ferris and looking to buy another Z and hydrocut Ferris in a couple of months.