Hey Exmark owners, help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard that the exmarks give a great cut, but the norm that people are usualy talking about is 60" cuts. I know on some machines that just because the 60" is a good mower, that doesn;'t nessaceraly meen that the 72" is any good. I had heard someone(on another forum I think) say that they didn't like the 72" exmark because the wheels of the deck din't track with the back drive tires or something like that, thus causing ugly stripes (4 different wheel marks instead of just the two on the outside of the cut). Any input on this would be great. I don't have a dealer in town, so I haven't actualy looked at one in person yet. The more I can learn from here(the real world experience) the better.

Thanks,
    Drew

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've demoed a couple of 72's but don't own one just yet........next year.........

Put a striping roller on it and it won't be a problem.

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Yeh but you could still see the wheel marks if they don't line up. Just curios if the 72"s are as good as the 60"s

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There are others on here with more experience with the 72's than I...........that being said, the 72's we've demoed cut as well as the 60's and in tall wet grass even a bit better..................as far as the striping goes........with a roller you pretty much can't see the tire tracks if they are set up properly.(At least on our machines)

5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Ok, so are the cuts as good as I have heard, and do they cut good in thick grass. How often is double mowing necassary?

Thanks,
    Drew

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'm going to have to disagree here. Although the machines I'm most familiar with is the diesel version of the 72 lazer vs the kohler driven 60s, I'd say the cut is no where near equal. The 72 is a much faster ground speed machine in that version with the same depth of deck and the extra 12" of cut path. That translates into more missed grass on a full open pass(and let's face it, your crews will cut as fast as the machine goes.), it's trying to handle the extra grass without any extra lift space underneath, tending to leave clumps with the mulch kit on, and the wider deck tends to bridge more on undulating ground, leaving high spots of uncut turf. Also, the 72 version I'm describing is a very very heavy machine, more prone to rutting on soft turf and a pita to trailer with a 60(have to put them back to back to prevent trailer tail sway.) If everything is flat and can be rough cut or if you are the operator and can slow the machine down and get the multiple angles needed on bermed areas, then you'll be fine. For crews working, I'd say stick to the 60 for the best cut.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The wheels are all lined up just fine on 72" Lazers.

However, the 72" machines have the deck offset to the trim side quite significantly.

Your stripes will be fine.

The longer blades of the 72" give it more capacity, and from what I experienced, give a better cut than a 60".

Granted, undulating terrain will show the difference.

If your looking at a 72" Lazer, you must go with the XS. The diesel XP is stretched pretty thin on power when things are thick in the Spring time with a 72" deck. Exmark needs to turbocharge it for the 72" decks.

The striping roller will help tremendously with any scalping issues.