1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey Experienced Guys Is Their Any Places You Wouldnt Mow?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just curious if their are any places that you just wouldnt do lawn care for? like banks,motels,bars,etc...any places i should just avoid altogether?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Gas stations and government housing units.
  3. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

Why would you avoid gas stations? im jw beacuse im new to this industry also...
  4. bigw

I also plow snow so i have heard about avoiding gas stations because of insurance reasons due to the gas pumps but "mowing their grass" why would that be a problem? I dont think youd be near any pumps for mowing?
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I know a couple guys that do real well with gas stations around here.

I would avoid housing projects. I used to do all the local federal buildings here. They pay OK, but you have to jump through so many hoops and they always paid late. I wouldn't do that again.

One other thing I'd avoid, anyplace where you or your equipment would be in danger. It's just not worth it. Overgrown grass with junk and rocks in it:nono:
    Steep hills with drop-off or water at the bottom:nono:

I saw a guy sink a $10k Exmark last yr trying to mow a ditch bank.:dizzy:

The profit from a whole season won't cover the damage to his machine, and he was lucky to get off the machine.
  6. bigw

well thats the last thing i want to happen to my new Exmark. Hey lawn tamer what about places like a bar or clubs,do you think they would be a problem with insurance issues because of the drinking or would they be ok to do?
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Some gas stations are known for stiffing you after the service. Others pay w/ no problems. You can always tell by how manicured the lawn is.

I try to stay away from lawns that aren't mowed regularly for advertising. I want a customer that I know is going to spend money. I don't want to convince them that they should have someone do it for them. They need to be ready for us.

I also try to avoid dangerous areas. I don't need my equipment driving off leaving me stranded in the projects w/ nothing. If I do go there, there price automatically triples. $100 minimum for what would normally be $30. What's crazy is that people still occasionally pay it, go figure.
  8. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

i agree with the not plowing gas stations because they have those metal caps that stick up about 4 inches above the pavement. and if theres a foot of snow your gonna hit it fer sure and from what i hear there about 100.00 to replace.I dont see a bar being an insurance problem because if u just schedule it for the first cut of the day know one will be there. jmo
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, there's ton of places I wont mow...

Any commercial property that requires me to go in and get a manager to sign some sheet every week I'm there to mow. NO.

Any place that has a lot of trash on it all the time (gas stations) Those are also on corner lots, and are prone to utility locate services flagging them out about 3 to 4 times a year too. NO.

Apartment complexes. These places, at least around here, are full of trash, and I don't mean the litter blowing around either. Usually all kinds of toys and junk that has to be picked up, and always someone around looking for a reason to sue anyne for something. NO

People that don't have grass, but want lawn service. Those are a red flag... All you have is weeds and dirt, and you want to pay me to mow? These are the same ones that usually last a month of two and then mysterously stop paying because they finally realized that the lawn mowing was costing more than their ciggerettes. NO.

Anyone that calls and says that they need their lawn mowed because "their mower is broke down". That's always a BS lie and translates to 'the city called and is going to fine me if I don't get my lawn mowed'. NO.

Yeah, there's more... but after those several definates, my rules do get a little more lax... I bet that I don't even bid or call back 75% of the calls I get. 50% of those I never even drive by after I hear the address (ie. they are on the chit end of town and ot worth wasting 15 minutes of my time and gas to even look at).
  10. bigw

good advice on scheduling it early,i am looking into landing an account at a bar now.I just got the owners house today and will be letting me know about the bar on tuesday when i meet her at the bar in the morning to give her an estimate.