Hey Georgia boys, or anyone else in the area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Newby08, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm up here in North Georgia, Woodstock, Marietta area. I just but a bid in for a lawn yesterday and when the lady first contacted me she said that she had a lot of weeds and possibly ants. Well, she did have a lot of weeds, but no ants. I can see why she thought it was ants though, there are little mounds of dirt everywhere, mounds are made up of a bunch of little pellets of dirt that seem to have been dug out, not like an ant hill that is fairly smooth. There is one single hole in the center. I'm thinking maybe cut worms, doesn't look like sod webworm, but the turf is pretty thin so it might not look like what I'm use to seeing. There are a good bit of the mounds spread out, I would think that its the same worm making new holes, thats a lot of worms if its not, and its spread throughout both the front and side yards. The back is mainly weeds and I didn't seem to notice it back there as much.

Any thoughts?

2. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

Earthworms, they are a good thing warm weather got em working.

3. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

grenskpr is right earthworms the ground moles love them around here.

4. Newby08

Well, alright then, I'm surprised I haven't seen more signs of them around than I have though. Thanks for the input.

5. Newby08

OK, so now that we know what it is... what can I do to keep the mounds from appearing so much. I know the turf is thin and all but these are so big and noticeable that it seems that even a healthier lawn would show these mounds also. These are beneficial as far as I can remember so I don't want to eradicate them. Will a good watering/rain take out the mounds?

6. Newby08

could it also possibly be mole crickets?

7. BocaChris

BocaChris LawnSite Member

When I first read it, it sounded like mole crickets to me. You could always try a soap flush and see what you get.

8. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Can you post some pics ? I have plenty of worms in my yard and have never seen them making mounds of anykind. They tend to stay just under the surface untill it rains then they come roam around the surface. I would like to see what your situation looks like. Best of luck !

9. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

If its little mounds of balls of mud or dirt its worms. Mole crickets will leave tunnels like
    big moles only the size of you pinkie finger. Plus its still cold for active mole crickets if
    your in north Georgia