Hey G'hopper guys!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dedgrass, Feb 13, 2003.

1. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

Need some advice on a Woods front mount. It looks just like a Grasshopper.
    61" cut, liquid cooled kubota gas engine . It has 300 hrs. on it and 1 owner-residential only. It looks real nice and clean. Any
    difference between it and a regular Grasshopper, and do you think $5400 is a good price?
  2. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Check your email. I think they were both made by grasshopper for a few years, but the newer Woods are not.
  3. PGT

PGT LawnSite Member

can't comment on the price but the woods outfronts are made by Ariens/Gravely and have been for a while
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The year and model # would help a lot.
  5. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

for the most part same mower different color... but there are deck differences but you will not notice. good machine. good price so far...
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had a woods/grasshopper kubota model about 5 years ago and it was made by grasshopper. Had lots of deck problems stemming from something in the drive shaft going to mower. everything was replaced:shoulder bearings, mower drive shaft, gearbox on deck, deck itself, still had problems. traded it for 1/3 of what I paid for it at 800 hours. I wouldn't buy one at any price.

Dave g
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

That sounds like a good price. I'd offer him 5K .
  8. dedgrass

dedgrass LawnSite Member

I talked to the woods people today, and they said that this '99 model 6250 was made by woods. I didn't know that they did their own manufacturing of this product. The service guy that I talked to said that the tranny is an Eaton model 771.
    As far as I can tell, this looks like a good mower. I talked to the previous owner and he had no problems with it. I'm gonna check it out once more tomorrow and I think I'll offer 5k. Also try to get him to throw in a shop manual.
    Have I missed anything guys?
    Thanks for all the advice.
    ded :p
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Beware of that Eaton trans. That is probably the same one that Grasshopper uses and calls their "Gemini" trans. This system is not as durable as the newer G1 and G2 systems that Grasshopper uses in their heavier mowers. The Gemini trans. is fairly expensive to replace compared to typical hydrostatic motors and pumps used by most every other manufacturer.
    The Gemini/Eaton probably rates as light-duty commercial/heavy-duty residential. If well maintained you may get a lot of hrs. out of it. If not well maintained, you could be looking at some serious expenditures .:)
  10. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

I know that unit today sells for almost 11,000, I just checked about a month ago. Do a search on Eaton trans'...seems I read about some reliability issues with them.

good luck.