Hey Grand Rapids Michigan Guys!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Indiana, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have a brother in law in Kentwood area that lost a 4 year old son in an accident in their new home back in April. They are having a hard time dealing with the lost and the entire family would like to do something special for them on their son's birthday in November.

The family have been talking and instead of sending flowers or something temporary, we would like to have a special tree planted in their yard. It is a new home and they have only lived there since April, so their yard is newly landscaped and lacking taller trees. They do have an area set aside for a kinda memorial garden for Payton.

If there is any of you southern area Grand Rapids landscapers that would be willing to supply and install a tree for them, our family would like to pay you for it. We only need only one tree and would like you to respond to me to coordinate.

I am a landscaper in Western North Carolina and a member here for quite a while and I know that surely there will be someone who would be willing to help us with this. I am a little far away to do this on my own.

You can respons to this thread or PM me. Thank-you for the cooperation.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

GREAT IDEA!
    If you can't get anyone closer, PM me, I'll drive down there (60 or so miles)
    and I'll install the tree of your choosing in the location of their choosing. let me know.
    I know there are others closer.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Condolences to your family. One thing you want to ensure with a "living memorial" of this type is to have the area landscaper plant the best tree he knows to be hardy for that area and at the correct planting time. I can't count the number of times I've seen a tree planted that ends up dying and the only thing that remains is a plaque and a depression in the soil.

4. stumper1620

the longest lasting and biggest growing, that seem to withstand the storms around this area are Maples, Oaks, or Spruce maples require Quite a bit of care in the first couple years. after that they do great so long as the water supply is there and no one hits the base with a trimmer. has to be planted properly though. I've seen a lot of maples die because of improper planting.

5. PurpHaze

Sounds like someone in the know like yourself needs to tackle this job. It's going to be a little more than just planting a tree and then forgetting about it.

6. stumper1620

I'd like to see someone closer to that area step up to offer, but if there are no takers, I said I'm willing to go do it and I will if asked.

7. PurpHaze

Very generous offer.

8. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies guys.

I would want a guy to go buy the tree, plant it and check on it once a while, if possible. My brother in law is pretty good about caring for something.

I am open to suggestions on tree selection and care. You guys in the area know more of your climatic requirements and planting techniques. I have a month or so to coordinate this and prepare for the planting.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see who may be closer to make this easier. Like I said before, this is a paying job; so I'm not asking for a favor.

Let me know.

David Ott

9. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Dave, I sent you a PM

10. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

im in gr and would love to help, but I am definitely not set up for anything like this. I will try to talk to some guys though, I am sure someone will step up, there is lots of gr people on here. maybe try the networking forum, there is a forum entitled "michigan lco's" (i think thats what it is...?) Good luck,