1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys how do you know when its time to get a 2nd mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a john deere 797 today it was a 72in cut with a 29 Kawasaki DFI I could get a new one for 10900 I have a dixie right now and I can do all my cutting in 3days long days with one but 2 would be nice I just dont know yet I can afford it no problem but can I justify it? Thanks for your opinion, basically Im looking for how you knew when to get a second thanks alot!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I add machines as demand goes up (i.e., more and more accounts). I don't buy for "convenience".
  3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

started seasdon with 1 mower. got to where i couldnt keep up, so got a part time helper. getting busy that way now. looking for a 60" ztr
  4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Remeber, anothe mower means twice the maintenance.....twice the oil, lube, cleaning, filters. Not to mention changing, sharpening and balancing your blades. I would like to get another mower, but not until I know I can 100% justify the cost.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

when the first one dies
  6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

This summer I have picked up two new mowers. Things I considered were how many different types of properties I can use them on. 72" is a big mower and will cut a lot of grass quick, but if most of your properties are just medium sized or have a lot of uneven or hilly terraine you might get more use adding a 48"-52" WB. Just something to think about, If you going to add a mower, add one that can be used in various situations.
  7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have 2 views on this subject. One view is from the standpoint of wanting to have a larger lawn cutting division. From that standpoint I would say to buy a second machine when your first machine is either starting to show wear, or when you have too much work for just the 1. The other view is from the standpoint that you only cut grass to keep certain people happy. From that standpoint, if you are getting really busy with your main work and need to devote more time to it. Then you should buy a 2nd machine so you can have more time to do your more profitable work.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In my case, my wife insisted I buy a second ZTR. This is after I had to prove to her that going from a W/B to a ZTR would be more productive. Then she realized that (2) ZTR's would be a lot faster than one ZTR and a W/B. I wasn't going to buy ZTR #2, but like I said, she insisted!
  9. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Buy a used 2nd mower as soon as you buy your first new one. It's a great idea to have a back-up mower instead of breaking your dealers buns to work on your mower NOW. Just a thought.