Hey guys! Question from a new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowingmark, May 21, 2008.

1. mowingmark

mowingmark LawnSite Member

I just purchased a full trailer of equipment. I've landscaped and supervised for a large landscaping company, but it was a few years back. My question is I bought a 60" Exmark and a 34" gravely riding mowers. I decided on getting the Gravely rider instead of a walk-behind for production purposes. I wondering if I'm going to run into any problems on slopes by not having a walk-behind on my trailer?
    Thanks for any info :waving:

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

dude it is the yards you pick if 2 hill dont get them .................
  3. mowingmark

I know I don't have to take the property. I guess a better question would be how many properties would I have to turn away because I don't have a walk-behind? The safety video for my riders say don't take them on inclines over 15 degrees. Do I really need to follow that or is it overstated to protect thier hinds? Do U guys run into a bunch of properties in the midwest with slopes over 15 degrees?
  4. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

If you value life, then you should follow that. I don't have a walk behind except for a 21". I just don't take on the sloped properties. I am even at the point that I don't take on 21" mowing yards. I have 3 properties that I use the 21incher on and looking forward to grandfathering them out.
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a cheap 21 for the hills.
  6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

id go w/ a w/b over the gravely 34". the 60' should do pretty good on hills. w/ the wide wheelbase it can handle a pretty good slope.
  7. mowingmark

Thanks for the advice guys :cool2: Much appreciated. Anyone else with opinions please add your two cents. I already bought the Gravely 34". There is a reason though. Me and my brother are going to be working together and we don't share riders well. lol . This way we both can ride. Needed something to get into residential gates that could cut fast also. It seemed like the best bet. It was between the gravely 34" rider or a 36" Exmark Hydro WB. Same price figured I'd rather ride. Then afterward started to think about the hill thing and decided to ask. I Haven't gotten my Gravely delivered yet so if anyone wants to chime in who has one tell me what you think?