hey guys ??? what u think of this newbie idea ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cobra333, Nov 27, 2006.

1. cobra333

cobra333 LawnSite Member

what do u guys think of this idea.. im getting a used econoline 150 4.6 liter .. the vans that u see on the road that are all white .. well i was thinking of using that to start and load my equiptment in there .. i dont need a storage i dont need a trailer so thats why i was thinking of getting that truck to start ... and there are no windows so no one can see what in there ... .. my question is would a quick 36 samurai fit in there through the back ...i also getting a ramp .... samurai dealer said he puts them in all the time what u guys think???? thanks guys for comments

im just starting off and dont wanna spend much to see how things go .. i just got over my cancer ( i hope) and im raring to go for the summer:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: ..

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can figure out a way to vent out the exhaust and gas smells... i say go for it! Where are you going to store gas and mixed gas?

3. cobra333

cobra333 LawnSite Member

store gas meaning ????.. my fuel to make my runs can fit in the van its all steel no carpet and very deep ...

4. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a good idea to me if you can put some anchors in there to keep everything from moving around

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the passenger compartment sealed off from the cargo area of the truck?

If not, I'd be concerned about exhaust fumes, and fuel vapor. Not a huge deal, but something to think about.

Otherwise I don't think it would be a bad idea. Like was said, make sure every thing is secured.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

A Gentleman here runs out of an econoline van. He has a expanded metal stop against his back to make sure if there was an accident nothing would hit him, other than his cell phone.
    He runs 3 21" and has a gate welded on the back so he opens the doors and gate drops.
    Seems ok for a 21" set up but a 21 and 36 would be cramped.
    I think the gas fumes would be heavy durring summer but some open windows can keep that down.
    I would go for a simple box type van like uhauls small stuff or similar.
    I have a couple of Uhaul accounts and they have used stuff for 3-6 grand all the time.

7. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My concerns would be:

• Most important would be the fumes. There was a painting company here that used a van that was a little larger then what your are talking about. They had their paint supplies in the back, and some of the paint crew would ride back there as well. One day they were traveling down I-465 here in Indy, the van came to a screeching halt, and people come flying out the back of the van ... on fire! Other motorist where stopping and pouring their bottles of water on them to help and try to put the flames out. I believe that a couple of them later died of their injuries.

• Make sure there is a wall dividing you from the load. In an accident, your equipment can and will fly around inside the truck, and crush anything in it's way.

• Size and amount of equipment that can be hauled. You will be very limited in what you can take with you.

Look at pulling a smaller trailer behind the van. There are many nice, small, fairly inexpensive trailers around that will serve your purpose well.

Good Luck!

:weightlifter:

8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

from expierience the fumes will get to ya, if the cargo area can be sealed completly then in may work but a quick 36 samurai will be hard to load and unload ( not enough head room) jmo

9. michaelmeyers31

michaelmeyers31 LawnSite Member

Not sure if that is a good idea. First of all, if pesticides are used you definitely do not want to store the pesticides in the cargo area. Also the gas fumes will certainly be dangerous not to mention hazardous. My guess is that all the money you will have spent on altering the van, you could probably buy a truck and an enclosed trailer which will take care of your storage and advertising as well. I never agree on one unit as both my vehicle and my trailering. If something were to go wrong with the vehicle, you are not working. Good to hear you beat the cancer. Good luck with that and your business.

10. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

As a fellow cancer survivor - way to go! I got cancer when I was 33 y/o and now I am turning 40. Try to take it easy at first, and if possible, have someone be with you at first. It takes a while for your white blood cells to go back up, and you get really tired at first. Your probably like me, where you have tons of medical bills (I finally got my paid, then turned around and had a massive heart attack this past July at Cub Scout Summer Camp, so my bills are starting to pile up again).

No matter what anyone says to you, especially since you know your own bills (especially now with all of your medical ones - hopefully insuance picked them all up or at least most of them for you) get what you can afford and feel comfortable with.

When I first started, I was saving up for a truck to haul my equipment, and I was almost there, when cancer (lymphoma stage 4) attacked me. What money I had was gone, even with my insurance. My Neupengen shots (for building white blood cells - for my immune system) was $300 a day. And that was 7 days a week, every day, plus my chemo treatments on top of that. So I had to continue using my Grand Am and Cherokee to do the hauling. I was embarrassed at first. People laughed and pointed at me, as I pulled my lawnmower out of the trunk and reassembled it. Then, I thought who cares - I was just glad to be alive. So, my point is, do what you feel is right for you, and thank the good Lord that you can call yourself a survivor.

i finally got my truck a couple of years ago, and I am getting ready to get my second truck for my other crew in the spring.

Chris

P.S. IMO - I do however agree with the fumes issue. With your medical hx, it would not be wised to mix the two.