Hey guys will this work?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 1grnlwn, Nov 12, 2002.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to do the brick edging with mortar but I wanted it done before 2025. (my house) Trench is 10" deep using fill sand and tamping. Using 1/4" joints and sweeping sand in joints. Will this hold up?

edge.jpg

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

While your picture is fairly helpful, a few explanations of what we are seeing would be good. Are these flagstones that are being placed on soil?

3. 1grnlwn

other view

edge1.jpg

4. Lanelle

Is this paver brick bed edging?

5. 1grnlwn

Used brick from old house 8" of fill sand then brick.

6. Lanelle

Ok, I'm getting weary of this game. What are you making? A walkway or bed edging or something else? How can we know if something will work if we don't know the intended use? Normally I would say that a deep sand base is not stable and will promote shifting of the bricks. There is no such thing as compacted sand from an engineering point of view.

7. 1grnlwn

Sorry its edging just haven't cleaned out bed side yet. That may not be done till spring. I figured sand was better than just putting them on dirt. Would rock chips be better or is mortar the only good way?

8. Lanelle

Using mortar will require a deep solid footer (concrete/block) to avoid frost heaving problems which will crack up the mortar in a very ugly fashion. The next variable is type of soil. Here we have clay which is unstable so I would either go with the footer and mortar or put down a base of compacted CA-6, put in paver edging on at least one side of the brick, and use about an inch of sand for bedding under the bricks. Sweeping sand into the joints will definitely work.

9. 1grnlwn

Ok thanks!

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

For the brick bed edgings we've ever installed, we only use about an inch of sand, and that's it. Here's why:

No matter what depth of base you install, with only a single brick width, there is no interlock, and the brick will wobble a little when walked on.

Mortaring them together, on a thin bed of mortar would only cause future problems, at least where I live, because freeze-thaw will certainly push all that around.

Creating a footing below the frost line for something as simple as a bed edge seems like overkill.

Edge restraint on the lawn side is a good idea. That coupled with installing the brick with a bit of a slope away from the bed and they will stay in relatively good position to eachother.

The 8" or so of sand that you have is likely too much as Lanelle mentioned. If you have more to do, I'd just put in 1-2". I'd also cut the trench a little closer to the actual size you need, or lay the brick to the lawn side of the trench, so you aren't left having to reseed or sod the little area between the brick and the bed.

The goal for installations like this is usually part aesthetic, part function. They look nice setting off a landscape bed, and they make mowing around the bed much easier. With those 2 goals, and seeing that you're using reclaimed brick, I think that if they were to move a little bit, it wouldn't be a hardship.