Hey....I have a stupid thread

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by G.M.Landscaping, Sep 26, 2007.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it, you can post a thread that doesn't have anything to do with this forum and get a bunch of responses. But post a serious topic and get limited posts?

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it's a blessing to get limited posts on a serious topic..... at least the people who don't know are staying quiet:clapping:

3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have a stupid thread Idea but I'm kinda wondering if I should show people how stupid I may be. On the other hand it might be brilliant.. but probably not:(

I was going to ask how many people give the back side of their blade a once over while sharpening. I've been doing this lately, not sure if I noticed a difference while working but it does make them sharper while I got them out.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That to me is standard sharpening procedure, not the whole flat of it, just a light angle zing along the bottom to define the edge.
    The stupid part is how it always curls a slight lip, no pun intended.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

That's good to know.. although I thought I invented something :(

But this year I took of the guard around my bench grinder and turned it away from me. So now I'm sharpening the blades on the top of the wheel and the wheel is spinning away from me.

Last year put the blade on the rest and wheel would spin toward my blade. Never thought that was the way to sharpen.

I have much better edges this year and even my blades look in better shape. Last year I was blunting that angle an awful lot.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I always give the back a quick zip on the grinder. Thought I was the only one.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but I'll guess.

Are ya'll saying you sharpen the blade from the bottom just a little? If so, I always recommend to never do that. Once your blade's edge is not the lowest place on the blade, you start beating the grass tips with something dull. That little bit of "dullness" can cause ragged edges on the grass and thus, cause browning of the grass.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just realized we've hijacked G.M.'s thread about responses with irrelevant responses.:confused:

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

ha ha G.M. is totally right this thread will probably end up being 10 pages.

10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyway just for you GM