Hey kansas guys ZTR choices.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What is your brand choice for ztr mower. here in my hometown (hutchinson) the only choice is Dixon since they have two dealers here and basically nothing from any other manufacturer. Grasshopper is 2nd closest though but still not in town (at least not a good one). I have 2 comm. Dixons 5022 & 5023 both W/catchers I use full time. These things eat belts like crazy!!! Figure one blower drive belt every 10 to 14 days. If I go with another brand, who has the best catcher system (bag style, no hoppers/dump-on-ground types). Toro seems to have a good looking one, so does scag. Exmarks is horizontal rather than vert. seems like it would be to wide with it on. Any feedback is appreciated!

ps. I'm not new to the biz, been mowing since i could walk more or less. I love the biz and hope to continue growing. currently maintaining about 70 lawns (62 res. 8 comm.) for the most part solo unless I have to call for backup because of rain.

pss. I love this board! the tips are great and don't tell anybody but you guys are much nicer than the bunch on another site no offence to anyone intended. thanks alot!:D :D :D
  2. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Grasshoppers, Dixons, Land Pride, Hustler mowers are all made in Kansas from what I understand.. .very interesting...

As far as mowers, just demo local dealers, talk to them and do some follow-ups on here to what they tell yea.
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not a Kansas guy, but here you go.

If you do all leaf and grass collection, then get a Walker. They have everyone beat by far with their bagging system/mower.

If you want a mid mount Z with the most awesome collection unit with bags get Exmark. I feel its the best all around choice, but there are others that are good too.

I have the Exmark HP with the 2 bag Ultra Vac and it is really an awesome set up. I can also put on the mulch kit at the end of the crazy growing spring and mulch until leaf collection in the fall. Plus its a great cutting and side discharge machine as well. So I feel you get the best of all 3, in 1 mower with the Exmark!

This is my opinion.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as your belt prob.

Are you using Kevlar belts?
    I tried one that wasn't kevlar on my mower deck(the only thing I could get in town that day)and it only lasted a few weeks.
    I Ordered kevlar one from my dealer before it completly fell apart and havn't had any problems since.

If you do have Kevlar then disregard the above.

I can't remember just where Hutchinson KS is, but if your near Minden NE. there is a Walker dealer there. there is also a walker dealer in Lincoln NE

Good luck

Paul Arens
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the Kevlar belt tip. Been using gates belts, I thought they were the best money could buy. The size is a 4L53 which is an odd size, but i can pick them up for $9 at auto parts store. Dixon belt is $24 and lasts half as long. Any links to place to buy Kevlar belts?

So far as Walker mowers, yeah there is a dealer here and a few in Wichita, close to here. I demoed one for a week last year and decided that my mid-mount was the only way for me. The walker didn't climb some of my hills, did not like being driven straight through a ditch either, when the deck came up the drive shaft screamed and I had to reverse quick. I mow many lawns with ditches and have to traverse them frequently. Also I have guys tell me they can mow wet with theirs and NEVER clog...the one i tried 25hp. 48" clogged right away on wet grass and I had to finish w/my Dixon.

I do have a question: Does the gearbox on the deck always "chatter" for lack of better term, mine did, sounded like something was coming loose. Could there have been something wrong? Blades were on tight, sharp and in the correct direction. The cut was poor to say the least, about half of what I was going over just laid over in the direction of travel, made nice stripes, but then the uncut grass stood up and looked real bad. Maybe the blade gear box was missing some gears or teeth or something? This was a fairly new demo unit, but overall, color me unimpressed.
    just my .02. Thanks!
  6. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

You have a Exmark dealer in your town go demo there ZTR after the snow melts. Its Straub International look them up in the book or check out Exmarks web-site. (Dealer Locater).....
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a Walker and no compliants. Before I purchased mine a had also heard you can't clog them in tall, wet grass......that was a bunch of BS. I found that you do have to move slower than normal, but normally grass is not going to be tall and wet. I don't collect grass on a normal basis. I use the GHS deck when scalping and leaf-cleanup and this works great. I use the side discharge deck in the summer months. There are others in Wichita, Exmark, JD, Hustler, Grasshopper, Toro, Snapper, Ferris, Kees, Huskvarna, Gravely, Zipper, Scag....these are just the ones that I have seen. I am sure there are more.

8. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Jason , Boetcher Supply out of Beloit Kansas and Topeka Kansas will help you with your belt problem . I had the same problemwith a 616 grasshopper . The dealer belt did not last long and niether did the ones I bought at the parts store . They came up with a Kevlar belt to fit it and I am getting 300 hrs. out of my deck belt . The factory one was about 100 hrs. Parts store was about 50 if lucky . I don't have a phone # for you at this time . I am not at the office . Hope this helps .
  9. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Hey Jason Salina here. We have 2 LC 27 hp 72inch Lazers. One with the ultra vac, and one set up to mulch. Super machines. Got them from Straubs in Salina. They have 2 other stores in the state. Kevin is the salesman at Straubs. I bet he would very happy to bring you any machine youd like to test drive. If you ever get to Salina I would be happy to let to try our machines on some pretty steep hills we mow.

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your Hustler dealer will have a similar system next month (or he can order it for you).
    Here is a pic........

Hey guys we are one of the original Kansas ZTR mfgs........;) ;) ;)