hey pesticide veterans

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Surferbum21, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

I have tried searching this forum for anything related to health risks. I was just wondering if there are any long term affects of being around all these chemicals. I know we are all as careful as we can be but there is going to be times when chemicals come into contact by breathing or touching something. Is there any studies that show that working around these chemicals is really bad?

2. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

3. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

4. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

5. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

i want to get into this aspect of business b/c it is easier money than mowing and a way to expand. but i worry about long term health risks and affects.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Great,...Another "We believe" site.
    While there is no such thing as a completely "safe" pesticide. the majority of the responsibility rests upon the consumer. I can GUARANTEE I can find things under a persons kitchen sink that is far more toxic and harmful than the pesticides that are tested for 12 years before they even receive an EPA approval for use. It all comes down to common sense....Labels read what they do for a purpose. That's why certain products are required to be watered in for dilution and dissipation. as far as the breathing,...it's the same thing...whether it be bleach from a cleanser, vapors from a glue or fumes from a piant or thinner.
    Now,...let's find some sites about the diseases that many bugs and mosquitoes carry. The effects of spider bites,...and the allergenic and health effect related to weeds and ragweed. Not to mention the environmental benefits to a good clean sod and the oxygen it produces, the dust it eliminates through filtration, and the sound baffling and anti-noise polution effects it has. The list goes on and on.

7. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

that's some info i was looking for. thanks. i just want to make sure i know everything. went on a ride along with an 'acquantance" today and he seemed so careless about what he was doing...no respirator when mixing chemicals, just gloves. i could see the spray just going all over the place when he was spraying b/c it was fairly windy today.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

There are risks and benefits to everything. Driving a car is very dangerous and we accept the risk of driving intelligently. But then again many people think they have the right to drive while under the influence.

Pesticides, when used wisely have many benefits. However, many people don't use them wisely and cause harm to themselves and others.

In my operation I have taken the approach to greatly reduce the amounts of pesticides used while being able to get great results.

There are many who will tell you that the info on the sites you posted is "junk science". For me, there is just too much evidence from independent studies that give credence to err on the side of caution. There really is no need to use the amount of pesticides that are commonly used.

9. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a pair of chemical chaps last week and wore them this week. I was amazed at how much chemical I was getting on my jeans. I was using blue dye and the front of my chaps were completely covered. I guarantee ya I will be using them every time I spray. I could usually see a little dye on my jeans but---man this was an eye opener.

10. Hoots

Hoots LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I have been lkajgflak;sdfjgh laksdhj using chemicals for years and ldkhjfiovoa never had any problems.

My daughter was jasdol ;gapmoij born with a full head of hair, more than I have. There is nlka n;soipmjwolk; nothing wrong with a little alksd gjhamoi exposure.

Just kidding, someone had to do it.

Have a good day!!!l;kdsa gjamoie jlkaesj oi[su[iqo