1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey Pros a few Questions for you.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HuskerPower, Mar 29, 2007.

1. HuskerPower

HuskerPower LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Hey guys I am thinking about getting in the business, I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I have a few questions, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Some of these questions might sound a little stupid to some of you but I am new to this so thats why I am asking.
    1. By edging you mean= edging the lawn?
    2. Do any of you have employees, if so how much do you pay them starting out? Is it easy to find employees? Or I guess i should say reliable good employees? The reason I am asking is because I want to start this business, but I have a full-time job, that requires alot of my time, I could do it part time but would need help a good majority of time.
    3. What do you consider low-balling, I know if somone else charges 500/a month and thats about what you think its worth, but you give a price of 450 its lowballing. But what if you honestly think someone is being overcharged, do you give them an honest estimate or do you give them the same price becuase you dont want to low-ball?

Thanks in advance.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Edging is normally either...edging along the sidewalk/driveway next to the lawn, or making an edge around mulch beds.

Employee pay varies, depends on the labor pool in your area. You probably have a good idea of what an entry-level job pays in Montana. Keep in mind it's hard work and you may need to pay a few bucks extra to attract and retain someone good.

LOTS of threads on lowballing :laugh: Do a search and pray your computer doesn't catch fire... For me it means intentionally underbidding, such as if you know the going rate on a lawn is $30-$35, and you purposely bid $23 just to get the job, that would be lowballing.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Generally edging refers to places where concrete meets grass, IE sidewalks. It can also be around the outside of a mulch bed.

No employees here, yet. You'll have to find out what others are making and pay a competitive wage to get and retain a good worker or two. Remember, employees also cost you money not only in payroll, but broken equipment and workers' comp. Also health insurance, if you so choose to provide it.
    If someone bids accurately and comes up with 500/month(125/week) on a property and someone else bids 450/month(112.50/week), I don't know that I'd consider that lowballing. It would depend if the higher bidder was right on or too high in the first place. Now if someone came in and bid 280/month(70/week), yeah, that's a lowballer.

Generally you don't want to purposely undercut someone to get a property. If you figure your costs, and a slightly lower price is given while still making a good profit to try and aid in landing the account, I don't see a problem with that. But purposely under-bidding by 30-50% to just to get the account is stupid, and you're only losing your butt anyhow.

I never ask nor do I care what anyone else is charging. I give my price, and that's my price. If I get it I do, if I don't, fine.