Hey Restro...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mr. Deez, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler 18 command on a Turf tracer.
    I ran the mower one evening (ran fine) and the next morning it was running on one cylinder. I know it's on one cylinder cause I pulled the boots and it shut down when I pulled the left boot. So, I purchased a new coil for $48.00 thinking this would "fix". No go, it's still on one cylinder, any ideas. Thinking of stuck valve? I did see spark arcing off of the boot when it laid against the metal on the engine body.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check/replace the spark plug ?

Next step would be a compression/leak-down test to assure ample compression on the failed cylinder, Could be a bent push-rod/blown head gasket ?

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen units act like they were running on one cylinder and it was a blown intake gasket leaning out a cylinder. Quick check is to spray a little carb spray around the intake/head matting surface while its running and see if your cylinder picks up.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez LawnSite Member

Fellas,
    I removed the right valve cover and the rock arm was loose. I spoke with a local mechanic and he said that this screw can work loose, but it may be stripped or worn. I put a couple of drops of loc-tite on it and tightened it back up and it ran great. I'm not sure if it is stripped or whatever, but it bottomed out when I tightened it up. Have you ever heard of such a situation? Thanks for your help.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez LawnSite Member

rocker arm.

6. Restrorob

Sure, It can happen. If it backs out again (threads worn) a helicoil could be installed without head removal if rags are stuffed into the push-rod openings to prevent shavings from entering the lifter ports.

Just for info. The rocker arms torque to 100 in.lbs.

Good to hear you found the problem.....

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez LawnSite Member

Thanks again...I enjoy your knowledge.

8. Restrorob

Whooo meee....:eek:

No problem, [​IMG]