1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey Riggle..Weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

The one we spoke of before about 2 years back.

Have not seen it show its head since about 2007 but this year it's back with a vengeance. Mainly, what will kill it and hint hint...

Roundup mixed at recomended rate has not touched it?

2. bice14

bice14 LawnSite Member

It looks like Fireweed?
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

pig weed? Farmer's around here say its bad!! They say it's round up resistant and that if you see it today you better pull it up because tommorrow it will be 3 feet tall!!
  4. agmember

agmember LawnSite Member

Im not sure what it is. But its not pigweed!
  5. kirk1701

Ok don't know if this helps or not but the little needles at the end; they turn brown when it ripenes and when you touch it they shoot off like a tick jumping off a deer's back.

I'm trying to get it before that happens because them needles are seeds.

The pic you see above, that weed was roundup last Sunday March 11. The rest of the weeds already show browning
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not familiar--we don't have it here--and I hope we don't get it.
  7. kirk1701

You found it and posted the link a few years back but I couldn't begin to search for it. Don't matter anyhow I do remember nothing on how to kill it then and it was hidden in someone else's thread who posted the pic of the weed. As I said, first time I've seen it here in 6 years so must have something to do with the warm winter and it normally being a warm climate weed.
  8. kirk1701

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

RoundUp does not have soil activity and many broadleaf weeds come with some degree of resistance to it. This is a serious pest all year long in my state. Normal preemergents have no effect on it. It has to be Gallery DF or the high rate of Dismiss.
  10. Volman

Volman LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

Sure not pigweed. Hairy bittercess. good shot of 3 way. It's really mature, may not get a good kill