Hey Rob I need some help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have aold Kees 36 w/b. It has the variable speed clutch on the engine. right now it has 1 speed RUN. Its been that way for a long time. If I adjust the speed using the handle, it just stops. Im assuming its seized up? Can I fix it.?Also do you have a picture of the proper set-up. Meaning belt set-up through the 3 pulleys. I also have to work on the left side drive. When your moving the left side will just grab and take off to the right. It wont stop till it stops grabbing in the pulleys.

Yeah I know get a new w/b. I will when you buy me 1.:laugh:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK Chad, I'll make ya a deal......You buy me a new ZTR and I'll buy you a new WB !!! :dancing:

All jokes aside it does sound like the vari-drive pulley is froze up, Post some model and serial numbers and I'll see what I can dig up.

3. ChadsLawn

Hey ummm Rob, this mower is lie 20yrs old. There are no numbers left on it.
    I can tell you its a Kees 36 with a Kawi FB460v engine.

heres a pictuer of the clutch.

[​IMG]

4. ChadsLawn

hehehehe you wanna fix this 1.

[​IMG]

thats my spare. The clutch on that 1 doesnt have the spring around it. Its doesnt work either.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez O Pete Man, PM me your address and I'll hand deliver you a new one. [​IMG]

With out any numbers there isn't much I can do. :confused:

This could be a good test for some Fluid Film, If I did let that thing in my yard I would try removing it and spray the piss out of it then try freeing it up.

I really don't know what else to tell you, Unless you could find somebody with the same unit and get some numbers.

Good Luck Bud !

6. ChadsLawn

Ok Ill PM you my address............LOL

do you have any chassis that need a engine?

ok this is what I found under all the paint.

36184hp then I think BHE

7. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

in order to fix this you have to undersrtand how the system work and it is a very simple and INGENIOUS system

basicly right now you have a big diameter pulley on the engine which makes it go fast you need to to make that pulley smaller the smaller you make it the slower it will go

2 things i would do

1 replace the belt it is probobly streched out and part of your problem because a streched belt will not be able to be tensioned enought to make the variable pulley "small"

2 take the variable pulley apart and lube everything i have the exact same setup on my 36bobcat from the 80s and it works like it should but it didnt when i got it and thats how i fixed it there is proboly only one bolt in the center of the crank remove that and the spring and everything else should slide right off

i could proboly get you pics of mine but you really should be able to figure it out by my explanation

8. ChadsLawn

wow thanks, yeah get some pics.I wanna see the belt setup to make sure mine is right.

9. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

it appears our mowers were made by the same company

fast (what yours looks like)

[​IMG]

slow

[​IMG]

as you can see the belt is much closer to the center of the pulley in the "slow" pic which is what i mean by a smaller pulley this would cut your speed about in half

10. ChadsLawn

ours are identicle(sp).
    Does the engine pulley move up and down? It works like a snowmobile clutch?
    thanks for the images.

What kind of 1000w subs do you have. I have 2 rockford fosgate power 12's