Hey Rodfather

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering what made you decide to go with Ferris mowers. I hear they make really good equipment, but was wondering what your reason for getting their equipment over some of the others was? Just curious. I might wind up with one of their mowers down the road. You never know.

Vic

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Rods a major stock holder in Ferris Industries. He makes more money pushing the brand than he does Mowing:laugh:

Mac

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Mac ...took the words out of my mouth. I dont know rods last name but there is a rumor that it begins with F and ends with ERRIS.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of reasons...

1. Reliability (they are very dependable machines)
    2. Dealer Support (he carries a full range of parts on hand w/loaners)
    3. I buy a lot of them and get extremely good pricing
    4. I get very good trade-in value for them
    5. Dealer is 5 minutes from my shop
    6. In 9 years with 15 or so machines, I have only had one hydro go bad (warranty)

Now for you smartazzes Mac and Gary, NO I am not related to them (although I do a lot of work for Ferris's largest Distributor here in NJ).

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say I blame you then Rod. It sounds like you have have a really good track record with them.

Vic

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When it comes time for my next purchase...I will look into the Ferris model. I remember seeing one a few years ago at a Ferris dealership and thinking to myself that it looked like a well built machine....especially for the money. It was in the fall and they wanted to get rid of the showroom model. If I am not mistaken, it had a 52" and they were only asking around $5400....it was a ZTR.

7. rodfather

You're right Vic, I'm not complaining.

What's real nice for me is even if my dealer doesn't have something on hand that I need, I can run over to the distributor (15 minutes away from my dealer) can sign and get want I want directly from them. The distriubtor still bills my stuff through my dealer, but I get whatever I need in less than an hour...works for me:D

8. GarPA

from PA

Hey Rod...being the astute businessman you are, have you ever considered getting into the equipment sales/service end of this industry? You made a post a while back that led me to believe you have something up your sleeve...shall we say...

9. rodfather

Actually Gary, the President approached me a year or so ago about coming to work for them in a kind of new position working with their sales force. What he had in mind was for me to tag along with the sales guys to demo and answer real life issues with the equipment since I have either run and owned just about everything they handle (besides Ferris btw).

Everything was going along ok with open ideas and thoughts between the two of us until he jokingly said to me, "You know Rod, this would be a full time position. You wouldn't be able to hibernate and take 3 1/2 months off during the winter like you're accustomed to!"

I laughed and said, "S*** on that real job kind of stuff." But, we have discussed it a few times more...we'll see? The other nice thing is he and I are the same age and went to high school together hre in NJ.

10. GarPA

from PA

be careful my friend... I dont know what you did prior to 10 years ago, but before I would go back working for a company of any kind, it would have to be almost like I won the lotto or something...job security today in almost any company is so shaky.Like I;ve said before here, the green business is hard work, long hours and cut throat competitive....but you wont get a pink slip unless YOU decide to scew up your business....

I cant even imagine only after a couple years in business, what it would be like to have to work structured hours and my pay and compemsation package being tied to what some clueless dink mgr thinks of my performance. My father in law was a very successful self made business owner...2 things he told me a few years ago, that I think about almost every week.........

1. you will work at least 3 times harder than you think you will, to make your business successful
    2. the sense of satisfaction and freedom of having your own business, and doing something you love, will make it not seem like you are working that hard.....

he was dead right on both of those...