Hey, Slow Down!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Sep 25, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i was leaving the town dump today in my F550 landscape dump rattling down the bumpy back road as i hear, "HEY, SLOW DOWN!!." I immediately glanced down at my speedo and im doing 29mph in a 25. this has happened a few times now so i went back to tell her my speed and asked her to stop yelling at me. i told her its a very large truck and makes alot of noise becuase of all the bumps so it looks and sounds worse than it is. she was still upset and said her kids play out on this road. i told her anything under 30 is reasonable and asked how fast she drives on this road.

can anyone guess??? she said well alot faster than that! just my rant, its been a while. then she thank'd me for coming back to tell her.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

But in all fairness, stopping a car and stopping a dup truck are two different things. With kids playing in the area, and they re constantly dealing with trucks in and out all the time, I can certainly understand their concern. Keep in mind, the speed limit is just that - a limit. It is not a suggested speed unless you want to go faster. In MANY cases, the posted limit is too high for the conditions. The conditions and area determine the necessary speed, not the sign. It is just a parents concern, so I can both understand and justify it.
  3. supercuts

are you saying you have never gone 4mph over the speed limit in an empty truck??? common sense also prevails, i live on a main road, i would never let my son play out on it. although these people dont, they do live on a very heavily traveled road, by very large vehicles, since the recycling center is there. they too should know, it is not a place for their kids.
  4. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I think you were in the wrong and the lady had every right to yell at you to slowdown. At 30 mph your truck travels 44 feet in one second. At that speed if a child got in your way you’d be over the top of them before you could ever stop. The little time you loose could save the life of a little one not to mention having to live with the thought of killing someone. Try explaining to the mother or father of a dead kid that you were ONLY 5 mph over the limit.

SLOWDOWN anywhere there are kids! Hey, just me 2 cents worth...
  5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

**** it i think u did the right thing man
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Strange thing how that sign always says limit and not minimum. The speed limit is not a suggestion. The yellow signs with numbers on them are suggestions. The white signs that say "Speed Limit" are just that... the maximum you are allowed to go.
  7. supercuts

wow, shocked that so many on here NEVER travel 4mph over the speed limit. to top it all off, the woman yelling at me, the one you guys agree with, even stated she travels "Much faster than that." my rant was about stupid hypocritical people.

eric d, your in law enforcement correct??? how many officers do you know that speed?? that drink and drive?? and that do drugs?? if you say none im going to call you a liar.

richard martin, your symbol is that of a mustang 5.0. fast car huh, if you never drive it fast why are you so proud of it, for its looks and not its performance????
  8. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

I don't think it matters how many people drive over the speed limit. The thing is it is wrong to do so, whether it be 1mph over or 24mph over.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh sure, my truck's speedo goes past 120 and my bmw's go to 140+, but that don't mean I do it :laugh:

Driving is about control, but not how well you can control the vehicle at its limits, but how well you can control yourself :laugh:

Now in all fairness Americans in general do have a problem with speeding... 4 over isn't so bad, but I am constantly getting PUSHED down the road when I'm already doing 10+ over, these jerks get up on me and are like angry that I'm not going faster...?

People used to yell at me for a mere 4-5 over too, once I slowed down I have never had this happen again, a lot of times now I do under the speed limit, they just smile so lovingly at me, like awww he such a nice guy, wow what a difference that mph made.

So I do the speed limit, that is so easy.
    Just slow it down, be a little more lalala about it, save fuel for one.
  10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Whenever I see the signs around town that say "SLOW Children (playing)", I think to myself, man, if my kid was dumb I sure wouldn't want somebody putting up a sign letting everybody know that my kid is not as smart as the others.