1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hey Sod Gurus need your input!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Craftybigdog, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys here is the situation. I had a landscape designer contact me and wanted me to provide the labor. To till in compost and then harley rake and then lay down sod. Job went great. Well 4 wks later I get a call and go over and look at the job. The homeowner wants me to fix it and so does the Designer. It has Pythium because the homeowner has been watering so much that there is standing water in the front yard. So what do you think I should do? I never implied a warranty, the job is an hour and a half from me so I couldnt monitor it. So the homeowner is mad and wants to sue someone. I never bought any materials all was provided including the sod. I never set up the irrigation or schedules. So Im at a loss of words here, I cant believe that the homeowner would call me after 45% of the sod is gone. What is your opinion?
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would simply tell them that I could not guarantee materials that I did not buy. If you are not at fault.....don't sweat it. Let them sue.

edit...im not a sod gurue...just thought i would respond.
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i don't think that you can get sued over someone catching pythium. i have never heard of new sod (i am assuming bluegrass) and i've laid a ton of sod in the summer on golf courses. I think that thier could be some other factors here at work. Mybe the sod company was on a heavy preventative program for pythium and the sod became dependant on the spray every other week?conditons don't seem right. Was the sod cut and then contracted pythium? was it heavily fertilzed? I would be asking a lot of questions but i am dam sure that sod contrcting any type of disease is not your problem.
  4. Craftybigdog

No it was not haeavily fertilized. Just starter half down then sod laid and then the other half put down.
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i would call the sod comp. to find out about thier cultural practices and mybe ask for a rep to meet you at the house if you think that you might have to fix this problem. how low was the sod cut on the initial mow?
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Write the homeowner a letter (cc it to the designer, and keep a copy for yourself). Explain what you were hired to do - install the sod. Further explain that Pythium has nothing to do with installation and everything to do with maintenance and management. If you could get some help by googling Pythium and quoting some university studies or other references you can site, it will cover your tail should someone try to sue. More likely, they will stop fishing foryou to take responsibility which is more likely what they are trying to do.

They don't have a leg to stand on, but it is important for you to make that point clear in order to not have to get dragged through the system and waste your time. If you do get dragged to court and you don't have credible evidence to show that Pythium has nothing to do with installation and the homeowner has a tiny bit that might suggest it, he will win. His only hope is that you will be unprepared. Don't be.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

#1 even if I DID buy AND install the sod, we offer no guarantees... period. You just offered labor... period. They don't have a leg to stand on. As a matter of fact, the customer is at fault for not properly caring for their new sod. It's like buying a new car and not changing the oil. If the motor blows, is it the dealers fault?

People are unreal these days. Freaking sue happy. :dizzy:
  8. Craftybigdog

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it!
  9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i would ask him to show me where i signed a contract with him stating that i warranteed the product.
  10. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

you can't be responsible for any materials that you didn't supply in the the event that thing's won't work as expected but, I am just curious, DID YOU GIVE AN ADVICE TO THE OWNER ATLEAST ON HOW THEY SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THEIR NEWLY INSTALLED SOD? .......now that I think is our responsibility.:drinkup: