hey terry

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeLT1Z28, May 18, 2004.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

terry, i've got a slight issue i've been meaning to ask you about. when i cut around trees, you can tell it's cutting just a little bit lower. i've leveled the deck, checked and adjust tire pressures, done pretty much everything but measured the diameter of the tires. any ideas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

I've only seen two things cause this. One is soft drive tires. When I say soft I mean that some tires like 18 psi a lot better than they do 13. Once in a while we'll run into a situation where a mower will leave a low cut on the outside corner of the deck when making a tight turn or on the downhill side when mowing side hills. Almost always adding a few psi to the drive tires eliminates the low cut.

The second cause I've seen only happens when mowing burms or around trees. It's more a result of the terrain and trying to stay in contour with it on a wide mowing deck. We rarely see it on anything smaller than a 60" however it might make sense to see it on a 52" HP as well due to the deck offset. In this situation lower the outside rollers one hole should make a noticeable difference. If not set the cutting height where you'll be cutting. Then park the mower on a flat section of concrete and drop the roller so it's about 1/2" off the ground. You should improve the situation if not eliminate it entirely.

I generally run the rollers in the 2nd hole from the top and never move them. Once in a while you have a property that requires the rollers to be reset closer to the recommended levels for the best performance however.

Thanks,

Terry

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, that's my problem. some of the yards aren't that smooth and if i don't have them set just right, you can see where i went over the rough spots and left lower cut areas (deck bounce?)

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check your deck. Outside (discharge) spindle may be lower on the outside. The discharge spindle takes a beating more so than the others. It is open to impact more.

The deck may have bent and allows that blade to cut lower on the outside of its arc.

My Lazer cuts like this and it's not that noticable if your stripe, as the next pass meets with the lower cutting and it blends in. I do notice it around trees and the lap around house etc.

Hey Exmark, any way to rectify this?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TLS,

It sounds like your issue is a bit different than Mikes. I would suspect a deck that is unlevel before I would a bent deck. In either case a deck can be re-leveled and a bent deck can be straightened. Neither repair is really for the inexperienced. You can however determine which is the problem.

If the deck is not level and you find it is cutting low on one side you may be able to verify this rather easily. Simply line all the blades up side to side and measure from the tip to the ground on a flat hard surface. The tips will gradually drop as you work your way across from blade to blade. Once you've done that all you have really determined is that the deck is cutting low on one side. You haven't really determined the cause.

Now you can lay a straight edge across the top of the deck pulleys to determine if they line up. If they don't you've either got a bent pulley or a bent deck. If they do line up then chances are the deck is straight but you may still have a bent spindle.

You can do a rough check on the spindle however by scraping the deck clean and measuring from the blade tip to the roof of the deck in several locations on each blade tip. If the high or low spot stays in the same area of the deck this can be an indication that the deck is bent. If the high/low measurement follows the blade tip then the blade or the spindle may be bent. The only real way to check a spindle for certain is to remove it and roll it on a solid flat surface.

That's a lot to absorb. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Terry