Hey Trimmer Gurus:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Valk, Mar 20, 2013.

1. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Same here I love my Husqvarna 4 stroke 224L.
    I can not find anything I can not cut , tall grass ,all the way up to small trees. It does not use much gas ,I cut 2 today only use 1/4 of a tank.

2. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

I understand why 4 mixer's don't rev smoothly and a Honda 4 stroke rev smoothly .

A 4 mixer' s as fuel mix that goes in and out of the crank case that makes a odd pressure in the intake .

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No, it's in the throttle control/trigger assembly's design. The blowers and other 4 mix stuff are very smooth throughout the throttle control's range. There was a post by a mechanic on here last year or the year before that explained it in detail, but I can't remember what the thread was. It isn't that the trimmers don't rev smoothly, because they do. It's that they are hard to feather up and down smoothly. The engines run great. I love the sound of them. If it wasn't for the feathering issue, I'd be all over a 130.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sthil trigger desighn is awfull

5. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5BWxXo1cc

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's interesting to watch, but it doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. The high/low pressure doesn't have anything to do with why Stihl 4 mix trimmers jump up like they do. If it did, it would also affect all their other 4 mix engine equipped machines, and it doesn't. Their 4 mix blowers don't have that trouble- only the trimmers. The blowers can be feathered very smoothly all the way from idle to WOT and back down. I remember the guy I mentioned earlier illustrating how/where it is in the linkage of the trigger and throttle cable system on the trimmers.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My guess is that these 4Mix blowers, while being essentially ~twice the displacement/cc's of the 4Mix trimmers, are under more of a constant&increasing load due to spinning an impeller - thus moving a lot of air throughout its RPM range.

8. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

I think you are right smaller engines have more fuel problems than bigger engines do. I know a lot about engines, threw the years I been in my Dad's logging as I work on saw to Big diesel trucks to my days has a small engine mechanic and RC airplanes of ever size scents 1990 and my airplanes are the only one at the flying field that run perfect.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Decision made. Bought a BIG 35.8cc Honda 4-stroke Trimmer HHT35SLTA today. Thank you all for your great insights. Mucho appreciado.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

was replacing the throttle cable on my sthil 4 mix edger and noticed they have changed the desighn of the cable and guide . much smoother now!