Hey Walker guys-learned a new trick today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Aug 8, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, so we've all got them: the lawns with a gate that is just a little too small. Well, if you know me, you know that I despise using any mower that I cant ride on a seat. I found a solution.

I have this lawn with a sizeable back yard, and a gate the Walker with deck on will NOT go through. Solution? Take the deck off. Sure, I dont gain that much time, but by taking the deck off, I can run the mower through the gate, then put the deck back on, and cut the lawn from the comfort of my Walker seat, instead of following around the stupid 21" mower.

This works well with a 42" deck...but a 48" may be heavy enough that it may not be as simple as just carrying the deck through the gate.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I would pass on it. Thats too much of a pain.

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

make some kind of quick-disconnect for the deck and you'll be in business.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Really it comes off as quick as it needs to. Undo the springs, pull 2 pins, undo the PTO shaft and it slides right off. Off-On takes maybe 2 minutes at most.

5. tlb9596

tlb9596 LawnSite Member

Bet you'll save more than 2 minutes riding vs walking, plus you'll be alot more productive towards the end of the day because you didn't wear yourself out walking all day.

If the gate isn't terribly elaborate, offer to install a larger gate for a nominal price to make life even simpler.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I found pulling the deck a PIA , I just use the 36 WB if the walker won,t go.

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have thought about doing that before, but just could not make myself do it. Instead I have my son use the 21's on them. Child labor is great. :laugh::laugh:

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I definitely agree that will bite him eventually....been there tried that and one day I was in a hurry and didn't follow the exact process and couldn't get the darn deck on or off. I can hardly get them on/off on flat concrete.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Been there done that. The hardest part for me is getting the pto shaft lined back up while holding the 48 ghs deck. I did this one day on a back yard that is about 3500 feet when it was about 100 degrees....never again! When it's cool its not as bad but still feels like I have wrestled a bear when I am done.
    You also have to take it off and put in on to go in and take it off and put in on to come out!

10. iseegreen

iseegreen LawnSite Member

Thats why i run a 36in ghs walker. I can get through all the gates!