Hey you Texas and Oklahoma guys

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by chimmygew, Dec 28, 2005.

1. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

How are the fires affecting or going to affect you guys down there? looks pretty bad. Hope you guys aren't around those areas. My family and I will keep you in our prayers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10619217/

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The latest batch of fires were about 30 miles from us. There was a big outbreak of fires a few weeks ago that were only about 3 miles from our house. This is the driest summer on record here since early 1950's. I am still having my customers run sprinklers at least twice/week. I have even seen big old established Oak trees that have died from this drought.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thanks. I'm a Tulsa Firefighter. There were several yesterday on the outskirts of Tulsa...we were called in to assist on some. We really need some rain!!!

4. chimmygew

It's not looking too good for you guys down there as far as weather goes.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We are around 9 inches below normal on rain. There have been some wild fires in communities near the metro area, but none have affected me personally.

Today's newspaper said that fireworks that were being sold for New Years Celebrations were the cause of at least one of the fires.

Its very dry, and the winds have been strong. We need some rain.

6. chimmygew

Have the fires calmed down yet? I know some local firefighters went out west to help.

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a light snow earlier this week, but it melted in one day. The news people still say that there is a very high risk of fire.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I figure itll stay like this til April or May when the rainy season hits.

9. chimmygew

Good luck and I wish you all good health.