1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by J & D Greens, Jan 17, 2009.

1. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

Hi My name is David
    I grew up working on a professional lawn maintenance crew. My mother got my brother and I this job when I was 13yrs. old and I worked for him for about 9yrs. Back in the early 70's the Japanese gardeners really had this kind of work dialed in and it was a great experience to work for this man. I loved doing this kind of work and now that I am getting close to retiring from my full-time job and I am returning to something I love to do (lawn maintenance). Even though we have to put up with all kinds of adversity working in this field there comes a sense of satisfaction when you know you've done a good job for your customer and the property looks great. I am doing this part time right now as I still have a few years left at my full-time job. What is nice though is that I am learning a lot about what it is going to take to be successful by doing it on a smaller scale first ( I have 18 accounts + mine to do weekly). This will be my 3rd. season and I can't wait for it to swing into gear. Out here in Colorado their is about a 3 month lay-off do to winter. You can work on some things but mostly just getting prepared for the season. I look forward to sharing info. and stories about what is going on in our lives and work. Thanks to Lawnsite and everyone who uses this forum in a manner that is of encouragement to all who just wants to succeed in this industry at what ever scale they choose. Keep up the good work, Dave

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Good luck to you and I look forward to speaking with you.

3. TCO

TCO LawnSite Member

Welcome David !!

4. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I'm usually one to be cautious, but as I have been hoping for the day to come when I would be able to make a GO of my lawn service full-time. Out of no ware I find myself doing just that. I was waiting to retire when I turned 50yrs old (Feb. 15) when the company changed the age requirement up to 55yrs old (Dec.31, 2009). So just about three days ago I get a call from the Union stating that I could retire if I terminate my employment by April 30 and submit my paper work to them for retirement by then. My wife and I are still reeling over making this leap. I'm looking to take my part-time biz from 20 accounts to 45 accounts by the end of this season. I know it is a little late to go after accounts. but all this went down with out a warning. My son already put out hundreds of flyer's with a friend over the same neighborhood I currently have all my customers in. We want to target another area. So Monday I am going to go there and paper that neighborhood as well.

I will be seeking to get big enough to make it so my wife will be able to retire also from her job. Wow I still can't believe I have just taken this leap of faith that god will see us through the tough times we might face.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to you all!!! David