Hi-lift blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Aug 27, 2003.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Do high lift blades chop up the clippings very well. I have a 36 w/b that has had a mulching kit and blades since I bought it used. Not to happy with the cut and understand that hi-lifts give a much better cut.
  2. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

When your cutting grass that is longer or the grass is wet use gator blades. high-lift + Gator Doubles might work also.
  3. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I'm sorry... I dont think I answered your question..

High-Lift blades create a vacuum that sucks the grass up into the blades and then when the grass is cut the mower will lay the grass down and create stripes. These blades also cut more evenly.

I dont think you will have a problem with these blades if you have a mulch kit. Since I dont have one I always put on the gator blades If I think what i'm cutting will clump the grass clippings.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i use high lifts on my walk behinds, the cut is much nicer than gators, i side discharge too. u know, they also make "mulching blades", these are not gators, but are similar in appearance to the high lifts.
  5. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

So you can use a high lift with a mulching kit?
  6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Funny post i just put a new set of Scag Marbaine High Lifts on the 52 Walk this morning before leaving......they cut great....im running gators on top........Marks Mowing Service
  7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put onMEG MO blades and your mower will work 50 to 60 % better. Blades will stay sharp 10 times longer. Grass cut up 5 or6 times finner. Cost will be less in long run.

from AL

High Lift Blades produce a Much Better cut on my Mulching Units especially When Cutting at high settings.

The standard Gators & Wavy Mulch Blades Tend to Leave the grass Looking Pushed Down unless Cutting Short.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I also have to agree that high lifts create a better cut than gators. I have even combined the two, and I still feel that high lifts by themself cut better.
  10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing that I don't like about the high lifts is that they really drain the HP when used on a mulcher.