Hi-Lift Jack for changing blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake101, Oct 1, 2012.

1. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with the comment about Jungle Jack. Don't know how I lived without it before. Makes the job much quicker.

Ibow likes this.
  2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I see a lot of
    People using the trailer ramp. I usually just use my Tommy Gate on my truck :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a video on the web page that shows you how. http://www.hi-lift.com/

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I mentioned this earlier:

I love seeing those jeep with those hi lift jacks...using them as a winch and stuff...me, I just use my winch...a warn winch
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I see many are using Hi-Lift jacks, sometimes for purposes other than lifting the mower.

How about lifting out wooden posts, ... anybody?

Recently, I replaced three wooden posts for a customer. These were posts holding up sawn rails, 10 feet long. All three rotted at ground level. This meant the stub was still in the ground, and needed to come out before new posts could be installed. The wood of the stubs were all solid yet. This is not uncommon -- top portion of the post is solid, the stub underground is solid, but the rotting at ground level renders the post useless.

I had a hard time taking out the stubs (24-28" buried). Later, I was asking myself about an easier time to get those stubs out, and thought of my Hi-Lift jack.

I have five more posts to remove/install. Obviously, I am looking for a better way than crowbars.

Has anybody used their Hi-Lift jack to pull out the stub? If so, how did you rig it? What fixture or jig did you use to hold the jack?

I am thinking of getting an O-ring, to put on the end of a link chain. By looping the chain around the stub (need to dig down a few inches), with the chain coming through the O-ring, it should draw tight with an upward force. Yes, I can make a loop to go across the lifting arm of the jack, but how to hold the jack in the upright position?

A better way would be to have a chain hoist, positioned over the stub. Perhaps I tripod, with a winch to pull straight up.

I am willing to spend some time building something that will work. After the five pending posts, I may have several more.

6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

It would be too easy for the jack to tip to one side and the 1300 pound mower lands on you. I think 1300 pounds can kill anyone.

7. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to build a jig, I'd make something like in this video:

Post Remover

You could try using an 8 inch lag screw and screw the chain to the top of the post. It may hold until the post is out or until you at least get the post high enough to get a chain around it.

If I built something like this, I'd probably not make it a complete enclosed square on the bottom - just 2 forward facing legs. Then it could be used on whole posts without cutting them to the ground if you need to move a fence or could be used for removing small stumps, etc. without lifting it over the stump.

8. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Jungle Jim Jack, it works fine.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. This is what I thought would be needed to hold the jack in place.

Two observations: (1) It works well on flat terrain, not so well on sloping surfaces, (2) Doing fence work in flip-flops for foot wear may not be very smart.

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Hilifts are great, but you should never use one alone. Always place jack stands when working under something. I've used mine for all sorts of things over the years. I prefer that it not be used on mowers.