Hi-Lift Jack for changing blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake101, Oct 1, 2012.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I think the easiest way to do it would be to notch the post so the chain doesn't slip. It will bind up tight. I had a similar situation where I had to remove chain link fence posts. I used a floor jack and sure enough it worked. I didn't have a hi-lift jack at the time. I do now thanks to a friend that didn't need 3 of them. :) I recently replaced 3 wooden posts at a customers house that were rotted just as you mentioned. Unfortunately all of them were rotted off and broken so I had to dig, dig ,dig to get the concrete ball out.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Floor jack, ... that sounds like a good solution. Thinking about it today, ... put the jack on a 2X6, or similar, drape the chain across the lifting support, one pull on each side. This sounds promising.

3. orangemower

from pa

It took some rigging to get the jack to push up on the post. I think I use something to hook to the existing hinge clamps from the fence. It pulled the entire concrete ball out! Yes you'll need to use a solid board to put the jack on. It does take some messing around to get it to push up without coming off but it works. After the first post I was like a kid in a candy store. I was all gitty and happy that I didn't have to dig all of them out.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Got to use my Hi Lift yesterday.
    Put 2 new rear tires on my tandem 18" trailer.
    I normally would've used my floor jack that I put in my truck but this discussion got me to pull out the Hi Lift or farm jack.
    I have to say it was so much easier than the floor jack and only took a couple of pumps to get the wheel off the ground.
    But, I can't figure out how to let it down properly.
    The best thing I came up with is to push the curved lever down and pull the bottom pin out so I can jack it down.
    What am I missing?

Anyway, it's going in the back of my truck now!:)

5. orangemower

from pa

The lever should switch it from up to down.

6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

7. firstclasstrim

firstclasstrim LawnSite Member

If you have a trailer with a ramp, drive your zero turn perpendicular to the trailer, like your about to ram the ramp. Then slow down and drive the wheel towards the bottom of the ramp up the side up the trailer ramp until it rides up onto the deck of the trailer. Yes, the majority of the mower is suspended in mid-air. Then, position that wheel (that was closest to the bottom of the ramp) so that it now "locks" into the rear corner of the trailer. You can then stand up and jump up and down on your mower, you can beat the **** out of that mower, but it's not going anywhere, but you should still use jack stands if you want to "feel" safe. It will give you the clearance you need to use a standard or battery powered impact to do your business.

8. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

I just lift the front of the deck with my mini skid. Jack stands under deck just to be safe.

9. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a hi lift jack for about 5 years now. I would advise anyone using one to change blades to also use some jack stands. I have had mine fall 3 or 4 times due to the small foot on the jack. Maybe we should contact Hi Lift and have them make a mower attachment.

Fatwood and Ibow like this.
  10. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing fancy here, 5 gallon buckets do the trick for me! In field I use the trailer gate.