1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hi-Lift jack to pull bushes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hawkeye5, May 20, 2003.

1. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a job where I have to pull three medium size evergreen bushes from a front house enterance. I really don't want to use the pick up to pull the bushes in this location. I've been thinking about alternatives such as two "A" frames with a cross-member or a tripod and a come-along. But then I wondered about using a hi-lift jack to do the job. Anyone used a jack to pull bushes before? Seems like it should work as long as a larger base was used to prevent the jack from sinking into the ground.

2. Wannafish

Wannafish LawnSite Member

Have you thought of placing a steel wheel (without a tire mounted) on it's edge (like it is when it's on a vehicle) onto a board next to the bush, with a chain around the bottom of the bush, over the wheel, and hooked to a come along (or vehicle)?

This has worked well for me in the past...and the taller the wheel the better as this provides more leverage.

3. Hawkeye5

No fish, I had not thought of that, but sounds like it would work to provide extra leverage. Nothing like inovation and experience! Thanks.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

have it out before you got your contraptions all hooked up :)

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I agree with Mike. I have tried a few contraptions, but the only good one is a large machine. Other than that I am back to shovels, long rock bars, and a pruning blade equipped sawzall.

Good luck,
    Bryan

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used a High Lift jack before to pull cemented in 4x4 posts out of the ground before. Work really well just make sure you use a larger base.

7. Hawkeye5

Thanks for the feedback DLCS. I'm stubborn so I was determined to try as I was convinced a Hi-Lift would work like a charm. I've made a larger base from a 2x6 and placed three bolts through the base to secure the jack base. Will get to try her out tomorrow.

8. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Hawkeye, just curious how it worked.

Bryan

9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

What are "medium sized evergreens"?

I dug 7 very large arboravitae out for a customer yesterday. Each was 6-7' tall and 7-8' wide. None took more than 10 minutes of digging with a good old shovel and a mattock to cut a few bigger roots. I am strong, but geez, seems pretty simple to me?

10. daveainthere

daveainthere LawnSite Member

I'm with ya Mike....you should a seen me the time i was "trying" to use the ole wood splitter to "pull" up some bushes.....although i have used them jacks to pull out fence post before, and it worked real good...but thats a fence post.