hidden treasures in overgrown yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Jun 4, 2003.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

My aunt works at a bank and the bank repossessed a house. The yard is very small and hasn't been mowed in almost a year. They ask us to do it for them and charge whatever it takes. So we get to the yard and it's really small but it's extremely long. I'm talking like 3-4 feet high! :eek: So I just take our trimmer and get the worst of it down to about 8 inches. It was practically like bailing hay.

So then we search the yard for any trash or other things. Well we found about 7 pieces of large hard plastic pieces, 3 chunks of cinder block, a bag of dirt that was hidden by the overgrown grass and a wire about 20 ft. long! I said we should just get our old yardmaster mower(never used on a job because it's really bad) and use it on this so we don't ruin any of our good mowers.

What are some of the "hidden treasures" that you have found in any new jobs that are ridiculously long?

2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Strings of X-Mas lites really suck,specialy when they are wrapped around the spindles.The green ones are hard to notice in tall grass.

3. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

I maintain a steel plant and I'm constantly finding scrap metal and chunks of slag along the roadways.

At least it keeps you on our toes.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i've run over my fair share of tennis balls, not very fun when you're about 4 feet from a brick wall.........................................................................

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well I know we have ran over baby rabbits, and baby kittens before... unfortunately. :eek:

6. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

In all my years of mowing, I have run over just about everything.
    But never, until last month, have I run over a real live crab. I dont think there was a body of water nearby. Didnt see the little fella till it was too late.
    LA LAWNS

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I mulched a can of 134-A stuff that goes in automotive A/C's last week. :angry:

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Had a guy years ago that was really ticked that I got a pretty good commercial account. Seems they told him not even to bid as he had a bad attitude. Well we use to find metal clothes hangers in the turf. I guess he got tired of it after awhile.

9. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

One that will stick in my mind forever is a Remington 12 ga. shot gun shell unused lying in a residential yard during leaf season with my walker was lowered to 2", that shell is still in my truck as a reminder to look in front of the mower at all times, to name some others a coat hanger, trampoline spring and a snake I got with my 52" deck (not much left of the fellow)

10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

One of my guys ran over mattress brushing a city lot and that just about ruined my week.... its pretty tough getting all those springs and wire dug out of the equipment.