hideaway strobes or hideaway led's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBL, May 17, 2008.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have always had hide away strobes in all our trucks but am thinking of putting hideaway leds in the new trucks from now on in the front turn signals and reverse lights. does anyone know about these are they any good and what colors clear or amber. our hideaway strobes are all clear

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

my 90w hideaways are melting the tail lights, any way to keep this from happening?

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

clear is brighter than amber. led's can run longer w/ the truck off and not affect your battery.

4. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

I've got just the regular 90watt hideaways in my f250, leave them on at the longest for about 2 hours with no problems. They are extremely bright but the led's are very tempting.

5. dura to the max

from georgia

im a volunteer ff. have both on my truck. strobes for tradition, but the led's are the way to go!! sweet flash patterns too.

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen some online videos of hideaway LEDs and it was hard to tell that they were LED and not strobe. They are very expensive, but should last longer than strobe tubes and use less energy. My brother is a volunteer ff as well, so he's all the time looking at lights. He has strobes in his turn signals and tail lights/reverse lights, and LEDs in the grill, windshield, back glass, and extended cab side windows. He has the switches separate for the strobes and LEDs so that he can run LEDs on scene for traffic and not run his batteries down. When he gets a fire call during the night, I get up just to watch the fireworks show as he leaves the driveway!

7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

how much do they normally run?

8. dura to the max

from georgia

I've seen some online videos of hideaway LEDs and it was hard to tell that they were LED and not strobe. They are very expensive, but should last longer than strobe tubes and use less energy. My brother is a volunteer ff as well, so he's all the time looking at lights. He has strobes in his turn signals and tail lights/reverse lights, and LEDs in the grill, windshield, back glass, and extended cab side windows. He has the switches separate for the strobes and LEDs so that he can run LEDs on scene for traffic and not run his batteries down. When he gets a fire call during the night, I get up just to watch the fireworks show as he leaves the driveway!

THATS RIGHT!!! tell him to check out strobelightking.com, sweet deals on led's

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I asked my brother about pricing for comparable strobe and LED hideaway kits and he said a 4 head LED would run over $400 and a 6 head, 4 tube strobe kit could be as low as $160.