hiding heads "in full view"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lakesregionscapes, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,
    I ran a quick search, but haven't seen anything that might answer my question... we have a customer with a two-zone irrigation system, and two of the heads in one zone happen to be in an oval driveway flowerbed (the rest are in the lawn). The system was reconfigured from a builder's DIY horror-show to a functional, though mildly flawed setup by a local irrigation guy last year. One remaining loose end is the fact that the heads in the flower bed are totally obstructed by perennials and shrubs: the plan was to elevate them on some kind of stake, and disguise them as some kind of garden ornement/lighting component partially hidden by vegetation. He hasn't gotten there yet. The place is fairly formal/urban in style, an waterfront McMansion.
    Has anyone done this, or seen it done, or know of any online outfits that do fancy/decorative irrigation heads?
    Thorough watering isn't particularily critical; the plants around the outer edge were selected for hardiness against drought since the builder use sand everywhere for fill, and we seem to be residing in the new tropical rainforest (New England). This is more for the benefit of the Miami resident homeowner, who calls in April to see if the system is on yet (we're still looking at freezes in April) - the first month he owned the place 4 years ago, the electricians cut the power to the system, and the whole place fried to a crisp in the only hot, dry week we had that summer: he's still not recovered from the trauma of a white lawn.
    All suggestions, critiques and issues raised are welcome.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

With the wide range in sized of pop-ups available. from 12" rotors to 16" sprays you shoud lbe able to stake the head Close to the level of the top of the shurbs/perennials so that when it pops up it will easily clear the shrubs, then get some spray paint, shages of green white, and brown and get somewhat artistic. I had to do some creative painting with a few antennas from controllers so they would blend in a bit better.
  3. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

MP it!

put a MP Rotator on a 12" high-pop sraybody, bury about 8 inches of it, it should pop up and sray up and over your perenials while watering them and your grass.
  4. lakesregionscapes

Thanks guys,
    Problem remains though; many of the "short" plants top out at 30+ inches, and the planting has a couple of tall shrubs in the center (~4'), with low growing border plants around the edge... We're looking at having to reach up 3-1/2 feet or more just to "get out of the woods" - Kind of aerial nursery sprinkler system, masquerading as a fancy light fixture... The lawn in question is on the other side of the driveway - mostly an issue only in the sense that we need to maintain adequate pressure. The oval bed is totally encircled with driveway - quite attractive actually, but it gets pretty hot there. Two big maples (4-5" caliper) anchor the bed, with a stone bench in the middle, between them. The sprinkler heads are currently at the ends of the bench, at ground level - they reach a whole 6-7 feet when they actually get out between the plants, which is not much at all.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

With large established shrubs in the 3-4' range, you should not need much, if any supplemental irrigation to keep them thriving. I've got 24-48" shrubs than get zero irrigation, except from the sky and they are doing fantastic.

6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought about one or two of the copper ring spinning sprinklers. They're both tall and decorative. Yard art and watering system merged. I tied one into one of my zones with a pressure regulator and a hose bib.
  7. lakesregionscapes

Thanks guys!
    Sorry for the slow response - took the kids and hubby camping last week (overdue sanity check)....
    I'm not concerned about the shrubs surviving: anything planted in that bed is chosen for hardiness, except maybe the blue hydrangia that she just had to have because she "loooves those big blue flowers". It is mostly a matter of keeping the perennials looking fresh - even daylilies get ratty looking in dry heat (our housefront beds at home are the proof). The homeowner is only up a few weeks each summer, with big house parties, and wants the place to look "perfect". Dormant/bedraggled plants are hard to whip into shape; the irrigation helps keep the plants lush looking even when out of bloom...

Thanks for the ring sprinkler idea - I was envisioning a light fixture with hidden sprinkler under the cap, but the ring would be more decorative, if I can find a couple that aren't too tacky...
    What is the radius you can reach with one of those?

(The wheels are turning...)
  8. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Are the shrubs positioned such that they could hid a 2-3' riser? If so, what using the 12" popup idea, but rather than any of the popup burried in the ground, it's just attatched to the top of the riser.
  9. lakesregionscapes

Yes, several are at least that tall - risers are an option, although I had concerns about stability (visions of haphazard leaning stakes), and was looking for a solution a little more "sexy"...

(Just tried to attach pics from a couple of years ago-not great, but all I have on this computer; bed is in the foreground)
  10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Check these out. We have the one on the opening page. "Tacky" doesn't come into play with these.

Smith & York

They don't sell directly. I bought ours through:

Creations Gallery