hiding the cost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do u ever "hide the cost" , allowing you to charge more than your cometitors, but yet making it sound real sweet to the client? i'll tell you what i mean. i have been quoting monthly payments, rather than breakdowns. "so you see mrs. smith, for only $190 a month, you get everything taken care of." this year so far, i have had nobody even question the breakdown. they all seem to love paying a flat monthly rate, and.....i'm getting $32-$35 per mow like this, while the competition is getting $25. now, if i had given a breakdown, that $35 cutting fee would have stood out like a sore thumb, and we don't want that to happen. do you do it like this?
  2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't call that hiding anything. You just haven't itemized it. If they like the price, and your work, there's nothing wrong with it.

Only one problem I see: "I'll take care of everything." After reading your posts it wouldn't surprise me if you come across some issues!! The reason I don't like it is becuase it doesn't explain exactly what you'll do. what is everything? I'm sure we'll read your posts in a few months telling us how one of your customers wants you to pick up dog messes, clean their gutters, and give your senior customers a sponge bath! I'd rather break it down and avoid being called out to the customers house every time the grass grows a quarter inch over the sidewalk.
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I do it for things like mulch installs, shrub trimming/planting and clean-ups. For mowing I just quote a flat per cut fee. If they don't like per cut pricing...I don't mess with them.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I found out awhile back its better to list all of your services and provide ONE price without a breakdown in cost. By providing a breakdown, at least for our experience, the customer always seems to have something to say like "I think the price for the removal of material could be lower."

In addition, I believe its harder for them to take our quote to a competitor and get a apples to apples comparison. Or they'll just come back and say your price for mowing is $10 higher per week than company X. Which is what I believe your point is.
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

no no, you're missing the point, of course it is explained what "everything" means, and is clear to see on the contract.
  6. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

i think that's a good idea but it starts to be a bad one once you lie to them about the price of each service
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

nobody lied.
  8. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

No one lied about the price of the service, all he didnt do was break it down for questioning. I personally think it is a great idea, an all or nothing approach. It doesnt allow the person to go get someone else to do the shrubs or fertilizer or any other add ons. It keeps all of their money in your pocket.
    It also allows a person to afford more than what they thought they originally could. Maybe they couldnt afford the mulch for thier lawn at one shot, but spread out over the year, it isn't such a big pill to swallow.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Full service pulls a premium price. People that know that they will have nothing to do with their yard work will pay a little extra to get some one that can provide all the services.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

exactly dude, i explain to them the benefits FOR THEM of paying a flat monthly fee, rather than $600 in april, $200 in june, $350 in july, etc. all the while NEVER MENTIONING the price for each individual service. when we were shopping for a car, all the dealers did this. "how much is the car?" "how much are you putting down?" "5 GRAND". " the price is $300 per month". it's the best way to sell more services, at a higher rate, and ensure you get paid without a hassle