1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by higgyandson, Oct 23, 2005.

1. higgyandson

higgyandson LawnSite Member

I put this on another post - We live in a pocket of the country where 99.9% of our customers expect us to bag and haul. We have a truck loader now and that has made a world of difference in our back aches? I'm wondering about using double blades on ZTRs with 52" decks that already have a blower running off the deck spindle?
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If I had to bag and haul every yard I done I would pack it up this week!:realmad: Man, I dont envy you. To answer your question I tried running doubles(med. lift on bottom, gator on top) on my Exmark with the catcher hooked up and it done fair in real short grass and not a lot of straw and leaves. When I got into thick leaves or even damp it would bog down and stop up the chute big time. I went back to running just gators and it made a difference, but will still stop up some times but not as bad as with the doubles.My Exmark has a 60" deck and a 27 kohler. When I put the doubles on and hooked the catcher belt to the right pulley and turned on the blades you could hear a big drop in RPM,s. I personaly have not had great luck with doubles except on my 737 running a short gator under a longer gator with the mulching kit, and it drinks a great deal more gas also!
  3. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

if you are using an additional blower unit that is motorized by itself, you wouldn't have any problems.

4. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

The doubles will pack more, but the bags will get really heavy. Also, the doubles suck up too much HP.
    We use single highlift blades and empty the bags a little more often. If the grass is wet you can end up with bags they are very hard to manage. Stay with the single highlifts.