High-balling jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if any of you deliberately high-ball jobs that you actually want. I know the practice of high balling for work we don't want is common.

I used to work as a ground man for a solo tree climber. He high balled all his bids and usually got them. When people would ask why he was so high (usually 30 to 40 %) he would just tell them it was because he was the best. He usually made at least $600 for just himself in a 8 to 9 hour day and another $150 or on my labor . Of couse, he had an excellent reference list and working in lower Fairfield County in CT where there is plenty of money.

I was thinking of getting a list of all alzheimers patients in the area and charging them $1000 per cut for mowing. What do you think? :D

2. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, thats real funny :mad:

3. JEFF ZALMANOFF

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

really dum or are you just trying to be funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think he just meant that as a joke, and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone.

5. Darryl G

Yes, Runner is correct. I apologize if I offended anyone. What I'm wondering if anyone deliberately prices well above the competition and has it work out for them. I'd be fine with making twice the profit and doing half as many jobs.

None of you have answered my question: "I was wondering if any of you deliberately high-ball jobs that you actually want." Around here, there are a lot of people with $$$ and they want the best of everything. If it costs more, it must be better, right.

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

(I was thinking of getting a list of all alzheimers patients in the area and charging them $1000 per cut for mowing. What do you think?)

Get off this post if you want to be like that. We professionals have no time for this sort of thing.

We are not in this business for our health.

7. Darryl G

Brickman - Did you read the rest of my post? Did you notice the smiley face indicating that I was kidding? Did you see my apology in a follow up post? I'm sorry if my comment was in bad taste, and I now regret it. Get over it. I am professional as they come and I would never take advantage of someone due to their medical condition.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry sir. I was hasty and didn't see the smiley face, or the later appology until after I posted my reply. I have Alzheimers relatives and was a little quick on the trigger.

9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Daryl,
    Interesting post you put up...bet ya didn't think it would stir up that much controversy! Don't worry...i knew you were joking!
    But i will be the first one to actually answer your question...No I have never used this method of bidding. It makes me wonder though...its a very common practice for jobs i could care less for. When it comes to jobs that i actually want i tend to bid a little more competitively...not lowballing...but not necessarily high-balling either. If that method of highballing proved to work it would be great...something ill have to attempt in the future.

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Someone called me a few years ago looking for a price to clear a large overgrown lot. I had a look at it and thought "no way",it was a nightmare job. Pile of boulders and rubbish everywhere.
    So I rang them back and quoted an absolutely outrageous figure.
    Somewhere around the $2000 mark for an acre lot. I thought
    "no way they'll accept that price." Sure enough when I quoted
    $2000 they said,"great when can you do it?"
    I hate it when that happens. I was hoping they would get someone else.

:blob4: