High Bidders?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Team-Green L&L, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I already have my bidding done, but I heard we are high and I have to ask:

4200 ft2 of over grown beds need renovation

These beds are spread over a 1 acre property

We bid $4000 (or close) to do the job. Are we high-bidders?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

by renovation, do you mean weeding or replanting or something else?

3. Team-Green L&L

de-weeding this:

7225 Cayuga Dr. 1 lawsite.jpg

7225 Cayuga Dr. 2 lawnsite.jpg

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say 4000 is way to much considering the homeowner can go get some day laborers for 1/10th of that...

5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

You have to be joking.

4000 dollars she could have the beds dug up and replanted....

You need a new pencil or calculator or something.

6. Team-Green L&L

WE ARE NOT DAYLABORERS AND WILL NEVER BID AS SUCH!!!!!!! I am redoing the bid to get lower than another bid.

7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Around here they'd expect that AND include resodding the lawn too. You might not be day labor but I'd bet that's what they are looking for. And really that's all they need. No equpiment needed other that maybe some hand tools.

8. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Sure....the jobs bigger than it looks like sitting in my easy chair but ffs I could work there for 2 and a half weeks for 4000 and be comfortable making a ton of profit.

9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't this kind of like the guy asking how much to seal a deck? Overhead + how much you want to make. You may not be able or want to compete for a job like this. If you are paying gardeners to do a lower wage job then you will not be able to be competitive without taking money out of your pocket. From you posts and website, I gather you are trying to be all things to all people. Not a bad thing but the pricing and the poeple and equipment you use are harder to coordinate. Maybe this job needs value added service. By that I mean if the beds have flowers that can get ruined and pulled as weeds, then maybe the customer paying more for a proffesional gardener is worth it. If this job is just basic weeding then I think you are off by a lot. By the way, nice picture of the family on your web site.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

shoot, for 4g I'd spend a whole month there.

But on the thread, what are we talking here, can you spray the stuff surgically or do you have to pull the crap by hand?
    Because if you ID the plant(s) AND the weed(s), a chemist can mix you something that will kill the weeds but not the plant, thou cost of mixing the stuff starts at $200 / quart (which is later diluted with water and oh yes you need a surfactant but anyway) and the time you spend ID'ing is not to be taken lightly, still I dare say for a grand you could do it that way.

What about the lawn, does it need de-weeding?