High calcium water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, Jul 9, 2011.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

The comments about the high iron well on the booster pump thread brought this to mind for me. We have a lot of calcium in our water supplies in this area. Most city water isn't as bad but I've got a couple of customers with private wells where the calcium is terrible and it builds up on the glass tile in the pool, the landscape lights, etc., etc.

Other than a water softener, is there some economical way to remove calcium from the water on a large scale? These are 5 acre properties with 36 or so zones on each plus the makeup line for the pool (which has a TON of glass tile work in it) and makeup lines for 3 water features. The calcium causes problems in all of these places so if it can be removed, it would be nice.

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Try this and let us know the results.
    A friend of mine installed one for his well water and it worked well enough for him that he bought a second unit.
    I'm still skeptical but I may try it out since my home wasn't plumbed for a water softener.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You might as well use magnets because that is where they stole the whole aragonite thing .... and it isn't removing the calcium.

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder if Bucky Balls would work. :laugh: