High-Dollar Scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Jul 28, 2004.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Picked up a new mowing account today. The lady had called me back in May, but I couldn't handle any new accounts. Called me again today, said the high school kid is going away all of August, and will be too busy with school after that.

I was about to tell her $30, till she blurted out "The boy was mowing for $35, can you match that?"

Well, I said, I suppose so.

This kid, he never edged, and trimmed maybe every second or third cut. So she thinks she's getting a great deal from me.

So much for kids low-balling it.

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I had a guy call me to come and do a one timer.
    Come to find out that he already had some neighborhood kids doing his lawn on a weekly basis but they were doing a poor job of it, not edging and not trimming very often.

The reason he called us to do the one time service was to prove a point to the neighborhood kids that they need to shape up or they'll be replaced.

When we were done he was amazed at the difference in quality. I tired to convince him that his yard could look this good every week but I guess it was hard for him to see past the ten dollars that the kids were doing it for.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, we had a new acct on the schedule for this past Thursday. Get there and it is clear that it has been push cut with a 21" within the past day and that a kid did it as no edging at all and only a very basic cut. The "new" customer wouldn't even come to the door or return my 2 phone calls. Later found out that she had hired one of the kids on the street for $15. When she calls back when school starts next week we'll be busy or our quote higher. I also thought about sending her a bill for the scheduled cut since it still took up our time to show up even though I know she wouldn't pay it.

Oh well shes getting the lawnboy service she deserves.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have said 40 bucks IMO...and would have told her why I have to charge more than some HS kid.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Nice when a customer wants to give you more then you think you need to make on the job.

Gravely_Man

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

frequently I will ask a person what they want to pay.

if they want to pay is too low...I state my price.

it they are on the money or higher, I say "deal".

GEO

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got that one right...:D