High end clients in a blue-collar area?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turfbarber, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Turfbarber

Turfbarber LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site so a bit about myself. I have about 10 years lawn care experience. About 5 years landscaping and fertilizing. Four years ago I got a really good job offer and decided to take it and I left the lawn business. My lawn business was one of the larger ones in the area running 3-4 crews of 2 or 3 and grossing about $15,000 a week. Problem was my accounts were cheap. Most of the available accounts are cheap. I'm not meaning any insult to anyone, but this area is very blue-collar. Auto manufacturing is the largest single business here and has been for a long time. The blue collar do- it- yourself or hire it cheaper mentality is rampant here. I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. I have this great job, but I miss being my own boss and miss being out in the sun everyday. I have decided to rebuild a new lawn care business based on simplicity, high expectations, extraordinary attention to detail, and impecable customer service. I want to be at the extreme high end in pricing as well instead of fighting for scraps like I used to do. I have decided to run two navigators to start. No offense to Walkers, I like them alot but we have a very good Exmark dealer locally and no Walkers dealers are within 100 miles of me. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done an about face like this or if anyone just has some selling experience in being at the high end of a low price market?