1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

High end "do whatever it needs" properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 22, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Meet with a guy who has 32k of turf. Wanted weekly mowing, fl seeding and weed control program.

He said he wanted someone to do what it needs when we see it.

How do you price something like that? He will get a monthly price. Add extra to bill for side work? Figure guys there each mowing tripfor a certain amount of time adding in time for mowing and extra stuff?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Rdub

Rdub LawnSite Member

I have a couple residential customers like that but it is all rental property single family homes. What I did was I totalled up cost of doing leaf cleanups 4 times in the year, mowing weekly, chemical regiment and a little extra for limbs and misc. Divided that by 12 months. Gave my customer that monthly amount. Then told her if something beyond those jobs came up I would just bill her at the end the month. Has worked great for us so far this season.
  3. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

My commercial, I bill weekly for mowing. Any extras I just bill for. Trees, shrubs, fert, pesticides items. Really either way is OK as long as all parties understand what is going on. Be good to each other.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ask for a price point that he would like to be notified of before starting work. That way your not shying away from racking up the bill.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

A good portion of my business is that kind of properties. I do a lot of "what it needs" over the winter, so its a win/win arrangement for everyone.
  6. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

"Take care of everything" residentials are the customers I look for.

I basically treat it like a small commercial. We have approximately 30 weeks of growing season here, so I just do the basic mow and go price times 30, add on my yearly price for fert program, add shrub trimming price x 3 or 4 depending on type of plants, add in monthly visits over the winter to blow/spray/cleanup leaves, and then divide by 12.

For a basic 1/4 acre residential I pretty much have a set year round monthly price I try to sell to any new customer right off the bat.
  7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I do my monthly customers much like you do however I don't include pruning. I've always do it per request of the customer.

He mentioned a few little things he wanted done.

Wonder if it would work to include the mowing Fert etc in his monthly price. Then bill pruning or other side work at a set per man hour with these services done per request or suggestion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The feller wants everything taken care of, pruning should be part of the service price.

If the place starts looking shabby you will loose the account.
  9. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it's whatever the customer prefers but I usually price it like the shrubs are overgrown and need bagging, but I'll actually go over them a couple times a month just so there's hardly any cleanup. Just blow the clippings out in the yard and mulch them up. So I'll charge it like I'm doing a big shrub trim 3-4 times per year, but I may go over them 10 times. I can trim shrubs all day, but there's nothing I hate worse than having to rake and bag the clippings. Another plus is the shrubs are always shaped up and looking good.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an 8 acre property like that and I just figured some extra into the mowing price for taking care of picking up limbs, spraying the beds with glyphosate, etc. I also gave the customer an up front additional price for other things like pruning. You might want to give them a proposal with all possible "extras" priced in it and see how it goes. It might be one of those things they only want done over the warm season, so break it down by month for that. If they expect you to do other things over the winter, maybe give them a 12 month breakdown. Good luck, accounts like these are awesome, since you can really make them look good. It gets a lot of word-of-mouth referrals as well.