1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

High flow and std attachments

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bubbas45, Mar 11, 2008.

1. bubbas45

bubbas45 LawnSite Member

Howdy, folks. I have some questions.

I've been told that in at least some skidsteers with a high flow option, that you can switch back and forth between standard flow and high flow. Is that always true?

A CAT 248B is a high flow version of the 246. Are its auxiliary hydraulics always flowing at the higher rate?

If high flow is not switchable, if it is always on, does that mean that you cannot (or ought not) use standard attachments with such an SSL? Or does that not matter?

2. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

Hi bubbas45 :Im not an expert on hi flows but I belive that hi and low flow are two different systems and might not be switchable by a simple flick of a switch, but I,ve been wrong before.
  3. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not 100% sure but I believe they have both hookups out front for high flow and standard flow.
  4. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

Thats what I based my post on all hi flow machines that I,ve seen have the two separate hookups low flow has to connections while hi flow has three .
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

CAT and ASV both have 2 separate lines, 2 lines are for standard flow, and the other 2 (plus a smaller female line) are for the high flow, there is also a rocker switch in the cab that activates the circuit.
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

don't you need the jumper cap on the new cats to activate high flow?
  7. bobcat_ron

Not sure, I know on the B series there is a knock out in the control panel to activate it, but they may have changed it. On all the pics of high flow attachments on Cat skids, there is no jumper cap on the work tool harness, so I assume it's a switch to keep the system from getting turned on by mistake.
  8. iron peddler

iron peddler LawnSite Member
    from midwest

jumper wire is to tell the Cat machine that you are using a non-Cat hi flow tool...it will not engage hi flow without the jumper for the safety of the tool.

the plugs to jump are F and G on your machine. but as always check with your local dealer.
  9. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

Yall are all pretty close.

The cat B models share the same plumbing for High and STD flows.

The High flow and XPS circuits are turned on via a rocker switch.

To activate the XPS system the work tool jumper must be installed at the work tool electrical connector.

A side note, the XPS system is only engaged when the loader control is in the hold postition. if the control is moved out of the hold position the XPS will disengage.

XPS is a 4100psi setting of the auxillary hydraulics, and as such operating a non high pressure work tool on high pressure will blow seals, hoses etc.
  10. bobcat_ron

4100 psi, suck on that Bobcat lovers!!